• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Current holder of PDP-11 OSes: RT11, RSTS, RSX?

retrobits

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I've been doing a lot of searching, and cannot find the current ownership status of the PDP-11 operating systems that were purchased from DEC long ago by Mentec (RSTS, RSX, RT11).

The last Internet discussion I can find on this happened in 2008. It seems at that time, Mentec may have been still selling and supporting the PDP-11 OSes, to corporate customers only. Currently, I can't find any trace of the US-based Mentec. There is an Ireland based MentecPlus which I've read is related (parent company?), but from what I read it was speculated they do not have any involvement or ownership of the PDP-11 OSes. Perhaps they did at one time, but have now discontinued any involvement? Their website certainly shows no sign of PDP-11 support.

Does anyone know the real story? Who currently owns the rights to these OSes? Perhaps someone here knows of someone that still uses DEC PDP-11 systems in production, and has a paid service contact with the rights holders?

Thanks,

- Earl

Last I heard was that all the Mentec stuff was sold to XX2247. They even provide a license for "general use" which appears to cover all versions, so not just earlier ones like the Mentec licenses.

Last I heard was that all the Mentec stuff was sold to XX2247. They even provide a license for "general use" which appears to cover all versions, so not just earlier ones like the Mentec licenses.

www.trailing-edge.com is not XX2247 LLC.
Since Tim Shoppa, the owner of trailing-edge.com has never mentioned this document in a public forum,
I suspect it was a work in progress with XX2247's owner.

You might also notice that Tim, who is also on the classiccmp list, said nothing when that pdf was found by
someone else.

Indeed - any such implication was not intentional.

Since Tim Shoppa, the owner of trailing-edge.com has never mentioned this document in a public forum,
I suspect it was a work in progress with XX2247's owner.

You might also notice that Tim, who is also on the classiccmp list, said nothing when that pdf was found by
someone else.
In which case I guess the contents can't be taken at face value, although hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Just curious - does anyone have any more news on this?

There was a thread a while back - can't remember which mail list it was on. It hinted that discussions might be underway regarding a non-commercial license for the PDP-11 operating systems. However, no specifics were provided. I shot Tim Shoppa some e-mail a couple of weeks back, but didn't get a reply.

This topic is kind of like a mystery novel. If anyone can shed some light on the subject, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Earl

Back