• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dialup UUCP

pitlog

I mentioned a while back that I wanted to try UUCP again after all these years. I've got an old system running System V UNIX and a modem, but I didn't want to use my real phone line (kids are on it all the time). I also didn't want to buy another line.

So I bought a MagicJack, thinking maybe I could get it to work with a modem, although conventional wisdom said no way.

I think I already said in another post that the MagicJack is a really cool product: for $20 a year I get unlimited local and long distance, and the quality so far after a month or so has been terrific.

So tonight I finally got around to trying it with a modem. I hooked it up to a windows box with TerraTerm Pro, did some web searching for a working dialup BBS, and tried it with a couple that I found.

I didn't expect it to work, but it sure did - at 9600bps. I was figuring the network lag from the VOIP connection would get the modem all fouled up, but it worked reasonably well. I bet it works even better at 2400bps.

So the next step is to configure a serial port on the UNIX system and get a dialup connection working. After that, I want to try UUCP with someone else out there.

Is anyone interested?

I would check out of SDF http://sdf.lonestar.org/ doesn't still offer UUCP. They defo do dialup unix access so why not UUCP.

I would be interested but only if that was over the Internet, that is with rs232 to TCP/IP gateway. While I love vintage operating systems I don't have a land line since '94.

LONESTAR.ORG is a UUCP network made up of *500+ unassociated hosts
established in the late 1980s. UUCP connections are available
via the network's most prominent host, sdf.lonestar.org

http://www.lonestar.org/

lonestar.org

lonestar.org

Interesting... thanks for the pointer.

I've been a member of sdf for quite some time now - years I guess, and I use it once in a while to test network connectivity and such.

I did not know that they were still providing UUCP feeds, and never saw anything about UUCP accounts on the site. Except for that one quote you pointed out, I still don't see anything. Actually, I think I asked the admins there once, and never heard anything back. If you have different information, I'd love to hear about it.

On the other hand, if you're interested in doing UUCP over tcp/ip, I'm game to try. I've got a Linux box that is on the public network (thisoldmicro.com), and it talks to my SVR4 box via a private network. Care to try setting it up?

-Tom

Back