• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Digital TV

carlsson

Veteran Member
So, today they closed down the analog TV broadcast around here. The local radio station went live from the broadcast place. The people working with the broadcast were joyful, almost giddy at the prospect of shutting down the analog TV: "We are going to pull three levers, then turn the knob for master power and we have permanently shut down the TV. Yay!"

I suppose CP/M User would not have been amused by this spectacle?

I must admit there was a lot of fan noise from their old equipment, in this case stuff from the 70'ties. Maybe analog broadcast equipment manufactured in the 90'ties would make less noise. The new digital broadcast equipment takes much less space and runs much more silent, so from an workplace environment point of view, switching from analog to digital is only a good thing for the staff.

From 09.45 in the morning to 18.00 in the evening they will have an outage of the digital broadcast as well, which was explained by swapping frequencies back and forth to optimize the used frequencies. Since this involves high voltages, they need to have the stuff turned off. I thought swapping frequencies would be done by a computer or so, and even if high voltages are involved, if they know which frequencies to use, it should not take more than 20-30 minutes to switch around, unless they're really installing new cables which go all around the house in some kind of web.

carlsson wrote:

> So, today they closed down the analog TV broadcast
> around here. The local radio station went live from
> the broadcast place. The people working with the
> broadcast were joyful, almost giddy at the prospect
> of shutting down the analog TV: "We are going to pull
> three levers, then turn the knob for master power and
> we have permanently shut down the TV. Yay!"

> I suppose CP/M User would not have been amused by
> this spectacle?

On the Contrary, I wish they would get around around doing
this sooner rather than later. TV stations simply know that
people won't buy digital to recieve more garbadge - at least
that's what I think! ;-)

The stations know that if they switch in 2008, they'll loose
ratings & ratings loses money. And why replace something when
the current systems are just as effective. Tube sets still
offer the best picture too!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

The outage only went from 10:00 to 14:15, due to the maintainance work was easier to do than expected. Not that it matters, since public service doesn't broadcast anything useful at daytime anyway. I'm not sure if the commercial aerial digital broadcasts were affected by this, or if they broadcast with own antennas.

Back