• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dual booting Dos 6.22/WIn3.11 & WIn98se on Different Partitions

KLund1

Veteran Member
Well I'm stuck
I have a drive that has 2 partitions. 1st is Win98se in fat32 and the systems boot to this. The other is a Fat16
But before WIn98se was installed, I has a 2gb fat16 partition with a bootable dos 6.22 at the front of the drive (the drive is 160gb)
I pulled the drive and connected it to my win10 pc. I moved the fat16 partition to the end of the the drive and made it just a primary drive, but had to make it a little smaller to 1.6gb.
I them made the fat32 partition at the front and put win98se in it.
Win98se does see the fat16 partition in Explorer, as a drive, but with no data. It's properties show it as "not accessible"
I have more the 2GB of applications, games, and data for win98se future usage. So I can't do both OS in a fat16 partition, as most threads, and videos show and demonstrate.
I think I'm missing something simple, I hope.
Can this be fixed?
I want to dual boot dos 6.22/win3.11 on one partition and win98se on another.
(We'll get to the boot loader later)
Any help or suggestion out there.
Thanks

IIRC, both Win98 and DOS 6 need a primary partition near the front of the disk. They also can't use a different primary partition. I don't remember if Win98 would work with a FAT32 partition starting at 2 GB but trying with the FAT16 partition before the FAT32 partition would be the most likely method to work.

Is there a reason why you can't have Win98 and DOS 6.22 sharing a FAT16 partition with the excess parts of the drive as a FAT32 partition to store all the data for Win98?

You should be able to do with you want with an MS-DOS boot menu in CONFIG.SYS, and GRUB4DOS to boot the selected partition thereafter.

You can use System Commander:

You can use System Commander:

You still need to set up the partitions correctly as per krebizfans
post.

Personally I'd skip Dos 6.x altogether and use win98s Dos 7.1. Boot directly to it's cli if you prefer and run the GUI whenever you want to.Win98 will run a vast number of Dos and Win 3.x programs and better networking ability,

Last edited:
I found a way to do it. But for the larger programs I'll have to save on a 3rd partition.
Here is the link to the video
This works really well. But you are limited to only 2GB partitions. But I'll make do.
Thanks everyone for all the help input !!!

Back