• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

External Floppy on GRiDCASE 1500 series

entaled

Here's a quick pinout for connecting a 3.5" floppy drive to the 1500 series External Peripheral port. This might work for other models but I only have a 1520. I found this necessary as mine has the 100MB backplane and was not bootable (even by ROM) without a floppy attached.

Any modern (meaning +5V only) drive should work without requiring modification or an external power supply. You can use a drive that is fixed for DS0 or DS1, just take notice of pins 22+23.

I initially used a real Sony FDD and later switched to a spare Gotek I had lying around. For the Gotek, running FlashFloppy, the interface needs to be "ibmpc-hdout".

Caveats: This is for an IBM PC compatible floppy drive, not a 34-pin PS/2 drive. Pin 15 is listed as an input, "3 or 5" for 3.5 or 5.25, I guess this means pulled-low or pulled-high? I've left it floating and it's working here but might be something to consider. I don't intend to test any 5.25" drives.

Attachments

• ExtFDD_Pinout.png
    ExtFDD_Pinout.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1520_Gotek_1.jpg
    1520_Gotek_1.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1520_Gotek_2.jpg
    1520_Gotek_2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 3