• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floptical

evildragon

Veteran Member
my teacher here in my technical college just gave me an old Iomega Floptical drive..

it's from 1993, and so I call that pretty much vintage..

How do I use this drives jumpers, and can it use regular floppy disks? It has no manual, and I tried doing a google search on the model number and got nowhere..

Io20S...

I always thought floptical sounded like an STD.

Anyway I'm not positive, but I don't think it could use regular floppies since they were magnetic and thats optical. I THINK anyway...

yea, that's the weird part..

the floptical disks look EXACTLY like a regular floppy.. the only thing optical about them is that they have optical sensors to find a track.. but they do have magnetic heads in them.. that do most of the data work..

I think I remember seeing something about the two being incompatible, I may be thinking of something else though.

An utterly random Google search turned up a few websites that said that standard floppies do indeed work in Floptical drives. Same for LS120 "SuperDisk" drives too.

For some reason, some SGI's had them. I THINK one of my 4 indy's has it.
I believe it was a standard floppy, as well as using a 21Mb floptical disk.

The ones in the SGI's, at least, WERE able to read/format/write standard 1.44MB floppy disks. The one's int eh SGI's were SCSI units.

Tony

yea, minds a SCSI one too.. I'm going to use my Adaptec SCSI host adapter with it..

the drive does look like a standard floppy, minus the SCSI.. but those jumper settings, nothing match for it, and i can't find any documentation for it..

From what I remember it uses the 21meg and the HD 3.5 disks. That was a cheaper way to go than getting a Super Drive and a card for the IIgs. But the 21meg carts are now hard to find. The jumpers are more likely ID number setting for the SCSI chain. Other than that I can not help much.

Take Care,
Geo3

I own a 21Mb Floptical drive. You usually can use 1.44Mb disks, and even the 2.(83?)Mb disks as well. As for the switches, all I can do is tell ya what mine are set at...

Back