• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

Fun with OS/8

Crawford

Experienced Member
Folks,

I've gotten my SBC6120 (DEC PDP/8e clone) up to booting OS/8.

It's fun learning a new old OS, and seeing where later OS's came from.

I inadvertantly learnt how to shut off the nifty command interpreter (CCL) that allows shortened commands. Non-intuitively, typing 'CCL<enter>' turns it off. Finally got it back with 'R CCL<enter>'. Whew!

I've been wondering how you 'gracefully shutdown' a PDP-8. Anyone know if you can/should do this?

Thanks,
Crawford

pontus

Veteran Member
Turn the power off I guess :) Actually I don't know, I guess I should learn so I can treat my real PDP-8/e nice once it is restored.

Anyways, I guess this means that you at least got your parts for the kit? Could you perhaps treat us with a picture or two?

Lou - N2MIY

Veteran Member
Graceful powerdown

Graceful powerdown

I'm not sure that this does any good, but it seemed like a good thing to do: I always halt the processor before shutting the 8/e off. (Then I put 7605 in the SR so that restarting OS/8 will be quick next time I use the machine.)

I halt the processor first on the pdp11s also.

Lou

Crawford

Experienced Member
How to halt?

How to halt?

Lou,

(Sorry for the ignorance). How do you halt the processor? Is there a short assembly language program to do this?

(IIRC there was an undocumented 6502 instruction that put it into a one-instruction infinite loop, that was informally called HCF i.e. Halt and Catch Fire.)

-Crawford