• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

Gateway 2000 386DX system BIOS Help

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Hello All,

I recently aquired a Mint Gateway 2000 386 DX 33 system. NO Math Coprocessor, 4 megs of ram. The original Caviar 2120 seems to have perished, and I need a much later BIOS to use one of the many larger Hard Drives I have. According to a what I have researched, I need this particular BIOS to allow me to use a larger Hard Drive.

"Phoenix 4.03.6.11 "M3GS20"

Seems like this BIOS was produced by Micro Firmware Inc. I'm not sure if this was a "Drop In" replacement or if my BIOS is flashable.
If this wont work do you think ANYDRIVE for DOSwould work?

Thanks in advance for any help! ;)

Stone

10k Member
You can use any one of a variety of DDOs to get a larger drive to work, but at a price. :) It doesn't have to be Anydrive but it could be.

Or, you can use a drive of 528MB or less without a DDO. I have a few if you're interested.

Caluser2000

Veteran Member
There's a few other options as well. XTIDE bios extension in a nic, ISA multi i/o controller with it's own bios which can take up to 8 gig drives and SCSI.

I use Ontrack DDO on my 386DX25 with a 2.4 gig hdd and it does the job ok.

Last edited:

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
I downloaded Maxtor's MaxBlast plus from years back. It see's the Quantum Fireball 10 GB HDD I installed, but when I go to install EZ Bios it gives me a division error and crashes out. Any idea what I Should set the 386's bios to? I don't have an option to do an autosize only hard drive "types".

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I downloaded Maxtor's MaxBlast plus from years back. It see's the Quantum Fireball 10 GB HDD I installed, but when I go to install EZ Bios it gives me a division error and crashes out. Any idea what I Should set the 386's bios to? I don't have an option to do an autosize only hard drive "types".

This is the overlay that I used on my latest 386 project: On Track version 2.64 disk manager. The HD is a 8.4 GB Maxtor which is partitioned to about 2 GB apiece.

Caluser2000

Veteran Member
I use drive type 2 on my 386 iirc and save. The DDO software does the rest. No need to set C-H-S settings at all. It aslo should set the drive up into 2 gig partitions for Dos if it's clever enough.

Just fired it up to confirm. Using ONTRACK 9.52.

Last edited:

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Thanks for all the help :) I've tried using different versions of the Maxtor MaxBlast and the Western Digital E-Z Drive software. Both see the Quantum Fireball 10 Gig HDD whether I have the BIOS on the 386 set to no hard drive or just any random hard drive size. I do not have auto config or a way to allow me to type in a size manually. What happens is when it goes to install the overlay it just crashes with a A: prompt. I will try the Ontrack software next.

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Ok. I tried it with the Ontrack software. Same thing, crashes out. I've tried a few different hard drives, all tested working in other machines, all from 2 gigabytes up to the 10.2 in there now. Same thing. At this point I'm thinking the controller card is flaky/shot. It is a combo Floppy/Hard drive controller.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-di...-AT-Interface-drives-MIO-21.html#.VDkf6BbE6Kx

It had green corrosion on it when it bought the system, So did the motherboard. It wouldn't even detect the floppy drives and the hard drive until I cleaned it up. The keyboard was not detected until I took some corro-clean and toothbrush to the keyboard connector (DIN) Now the KB works beautifully. The Floppy drive controller portion now seems to be working OK. I did notice some of the "Gold" on the portion of the card where it makes contact with the ISA slot is missing near the top edge of the connector. When I went to investigate that, even more came off. I think this one is done. I could try some pencil lead to see if I could get it going, but I think the best option is to find another combo Floppy/IDE controller card and try that. Most likely any one of those Overlays will work on the first try with a new controller card.

Thanks guys. I will update this post as soon as I find another card.

Caluser2000

Veteran Member
It shouldn't be to hard to track one down. There may even be a member in your local who has a few spares. Good luck.

I betcha Stone's got a few he can off load ;)

Stone

10k Member
If I don't I'm sure MikeS does.

FWIW, I wouldn't be so quick in replacing the IDE interface card. My money's on the drive being hosed. I would certainly test both the drive and the interface card on other systems before buying anything.

Malc

Veteran Member
I have that same card MIO-400KF REV. F Hard Disk/Floppy Controller in my 486 box, It's the only card i have that passed *All* tests using Dave Dunfields TestFDC utility, Like Stone said test the card in another system if you can, It's a handy card to have if it works of course.

eXTended8088

Experienced Member
Just a quick update.

I decided to take a magnifying glass and a bit of solder to patch up the small areas where the metal had come off the contacts. It was a pain as I had to spread it thin. I wish I would of had a trace repair pen lying around. Anyhow, after another cleanup job of the contacts and some solder, I'm happy to report the MIO-400KF is working great :) First time I threw a hard drive in there and set it to a bios "type" that would allow it to boot properly, I loaded a Bios overlay and successfully loaded MS DOS 6.22 on the hard drive. I did this a couple of times, testing with different drives and after installing the overlay the correct drive size came up and I was able to install an OS.

I didn't give up on that card.. :)

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Caluser2000

Veteran Member
Good stuff and indeed you confirmed it was the card that was at fault ;) It is good to have a spare or two laying about though.

Keep us posted on progress and of don't forget to slap up a few pics of the system up and running.

Last edited: