• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got beat again

curtis

Veteran Member
There was a very nice prototype TI-99/2 on ebay recently. Been wanting one of those for quite some time, but OBVIOUSLY someone wanted it a heck of a lot more than I did!

Max'd my bid @ $500 and they blew past me like I was in park! Sucker jumped from $713 to $1100+ in last 5 seconds. Danged snipers.

There was a very nice prototype TI-99/2 on ebay recently. . . . jumped from $713 to $1100+ in last 5 seconds. Danged snipers.

Yea, I was watching that 99/2 also. I knew it was very 'special' - and when I saw the final winning bid I just shrugged and thought to myself, "Well, my little herd of 3 TI99/4A's can 'play' nicer than that 99/2, so let it go to the Smithsonian or wherever it went to those with the big bucks to spend.

I was watching that baby too, just due to the TI link really. Can't believe it won't for over 1,000 bucks! Just wondering do you think the machine only had 2k of memory because it was an early prototype or did the guy get it wrong. (is it supposed to have 4.2k?!)

Great looking machine but not very practical, I'll stick with my 6K CC-40, THANKS!

Not sure on the memory. He may have mis-typed, but only way to find out is to get a look at it. Oh well, guess we'll never know.

Still, the more I looked at the /2, the more it reminded me of the CC-40 with a video output.

I would still love an /8 prototype over that since I have a fascination with all of the mostly unreleased "super 8-bits" (yes, I know the TI-99 series is technically 16-bit), but either would of course be very cool.

Wow, I didn't even know someone had listed this out there on the 'bay. Definitely out of my league, price-wise!

I see that another seller has the Milton Bradley MBX Expansion System, CIB for $199/OBO. Now that's tempting !!

I would still love an /8 prototype over that since I have a fascination with all of the mostly unreleased "super 8-bits" (yes, I know the TI-99 series is technically 16-bit), but either would of course be very cool.

There's a fellow here in Amarillo who went down to Lubbock when they shut down their home computer division and cleaned them out. He has a couple of 8's. He even gave me a 8 motherboard that's non-functional.

His name is Steve Eggers. I think he's the last remaining member of the Amarillo 99'er club.
http://aug.99er.net/

There were quite a few 99/8s in Amarillo until the last year or two. Steve Eggers had two--and sold both of them (I was the buyer for one of them), and another guy I know had two more--both of which have also been sold. I also got a lot of useful 99/8 documentation from both of them. I put the scans for well over 90% of all known 99/8 documentation up on WHTech since I'm sure most of it would be otherwise unobtainable--too few original copies survived. I was one of the underbidders on the 99/2--when it went over $700 it passed my budgeted bid. Maybe next time. I do have the schematics for one though (missing one page, like every copy of these I have ever seen).

STEVE SOLD HIS 99/8's!!!!

I knew he had been going through a rough time for a while, but didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

I'm going to have to give him a call and see how he's doing.

Back