• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GTX-286 questions

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

Somewhere along the line I acquired what looks like an IBM PC 8 bit ISA card that says "GTX-286" on it. The card has two square ICs that look like they could be 80286 CPUs. But it also has an 8088 IC on it. There's a jumper that says NMI (non-maskable interupt) and "5 MHz" on it and two toggle switches that would stick out of the back of the computer if the card was installed.

Unfortunately, Google is not being my friend. I was hoping that someone would be willing to tell me if this is a PC to 286 upgrade card and how it works, just for FYI. I think I know what an NMI is, but why do you need to be able to choose between it and 5 MHz? Another question I have is if these upgrade cards need a software driver to work. Oh, why would the card need an 8088 onboard?

Anybody?

Thanks,
Sean

I think I've got the manual. There's a scanned copy at:

[...]

Oh, bitchin'! My card is a different model, but the operating principles are the same. I don't have the card-to-CPU socket cable so I'll have to see if anyone has a dead card and a good cable and wants it.

In other news about what is bitchin', your website has park.com, the computer at the copy store has a compact flash drive interface, and I ordered a couple of XT-IDE to CF converters. If I can get a Vista computer to access a drive with 12 bit addressing I'm set.

Thanks,
Sean

Back