• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HELP Xt-ide rev4

thecaver99

I have a rev v4 xt-ide and it's been working great since I bought it but now it's gone wonky.
I can delete portions but when I try and create a portion disk goes through the motions of setting them up bit there not being saved to the disk and upon reboot the drive/cf is empty, ive tried cf cards from 32mb up to 8gb and even real hdds from 54mb to 40gb and all the dame now, will delete the portions but when write them to the drive.

So, this is a duplicate of the thread at [here]. From that thread, we know that when you write "portion", you mean "partition".

it's been working great since I bought it but now it's gone wonky.
So, one day, your XT-IDE Rev 4 just stopped working without you doing anything. Correct?
If not, what was the trigger? E.g. Moved to a different computer. E.g. Attempted to upgrade the XTIDE Universal BIOS (a.k.a. XUB). Etc.

I can delete portions but when I try and create a portion disk goes through the motions of setting them up bit there not being saved to the disk and upon reboot the drive/cf is empty
The fact that you can successfully delete a partition means that the CF (or other type of IDE device) can be written to.

Try the following. Does that work?
1. Wipe the MBR on the CF, or wipe the whole CF. See [here].
2. Boot from a DOS boot floppy.
3. Use FDISK to create a partition.

So, this is a duplicate of the thread at [here]. From that thread, we know that when you write "portion", you mean "partition".

So, one day, your XT-IDE Rev 4 just stopped working without you doing anything. Correct?
If not, what was the trigger? E.g. Moved to a different computer. E.g. Attempted to upgrade the XTIDE Universal BIOS (a.k.a. XUB). Etc.

The fact that you can successfully delete a partition means that the CF (or other type of IDE device) can be written to.

2. Boot from a DOS boot floppy. happy wheels
I had the same problem, deleted the MBR on the CF then booted from the DOS boot floppy, but still didn't work.

ive managed to fix it, test all the 74 logic ics with my tl688 and the 74ls-4 had gone, fitted replacement and now its back to fully working condition.

2. Boot from a DOS boot floppy.half body sexdoll
In the problem you describe, the problem is caused by a faulty 74LS04 logic IC on the XT-IDE adapter.The 74LS04 is an inverting chip, which means that it is responsible for switching signals between different voltage levels. When this chip fails, it is likely to cause communication errors between the XT-IDE adapter and the storage device, preventing data from being written to the disk.

After replacing the faulty 74LS04 chip, the XT-IDE adapter was able to resume normal operation and once again write data correctly to the disk. This highlights the importance of thorough testing and troubleshooting when encountering hardware problems with older computers.

Of course this is just my personal speculation, so please correct me if this is incorrect, and thank you for your help!

In the problem you describe, the problem is caused by a faulty 74LS04 logic IC on the XT-IDE adapter.The 74LS04 is an inverting chip, which means that it is responsible for switching signals between different voltage levels. When this chip fails, it is likely to cause communication errors between the XT-IDE adapter and the storage device, preventing data from being written to the disk.

After replacing the faulty 74LS04 chip, the XT-IDE adapter was able to resume normal operation and once again write data correctly to the disk. This highlights the importance of thorough testing and troubleshooting when encountering hardware problems with older computers.

Of course this is just my personal speculation, so please correct me if this is incorrect, and thank you for your help!
This is a very suspicious post.

Back