• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Ps/2 56SLC/2 Memory issues.

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
I recently got my ungermann-bass network card to be seen and is functional, however i cannot get an extender memory manager to load at all. Himem.sys in dos 6.22 chokes up, PC/DOS himem.sys stops at "Loading". I have it populated with 16mb ram, which is all fully functional, is there any special setting i need to make himem.sys load up? Also Qemm's DOSUP.SYS locks the system too. Anything i need to do?

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
yep, it still refuses to get past himem.sys. dos 6.22 you can reset the computer. pc-dos 2000 you have to hard reset the system to do it. with 4, 8, or 16mb ram it still does it. i'm thinking none of my 72-poin sticks is the right type of ram needed for it, Shame too, it's pretty snappy for a 486slc chip. That and i need a 387SX-25 copro for him too. The memory is the confusing thing, and frustrating.

krebizfan

Veteran Member
I thought the 56/57/77 all used standard 70ns 70-pin SIMMS unlike the more exotic earlier PS/2 models. I had a Model 77 back about 15 years ago. It might have to be parity or ECC memory; non-parity won't work.

Are you loading any other drivers that might be trying to access extended memory?

modem7

Veteran Member
Have you tried the /V switch of HIMEM.SYS, as detailed at http://users.cybercity.dk/~bse26236/batutil/help/HIMEM_S.HTM
The resulting messages may provide a clue as to what HIMEM.SYS is up to at the time it locks up.

There are other switches worth experimenting with as well (e.g. /SHADOWRAM:OFF).

Have you tried removing all cards?

I have it populated with 16mb ram, which is all fully functional,
i'm thinking none of my 72-poin sticks is the right type of ram needed for it,
How did you determine that your RAM is "fully functional"? 56SLC/2 diagnostics?