• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

Identify a suspect PDP8/???

jhalbrecht

Experienced Member
Can anyone help me definitively identify this PDP 8? It has a F front panel, but I've been told that it's actually an M. Looking for a couple sources to cite. Ohh... And I'd like to sell it if you're interested...

IMG_7232.jpg IMG_7233 1500.jpg IMG_7237.jpg

There are more images on this CraigsList ad.

Thanks, - Jeff

AK6DN

Veteran Member
It is a PDP-8/F. Small box with one backplane like the /M, but it is the /F box. The /F power supply is on the left. On the /M the power supply is at the rear and the case fans are on the left.

Besides the label on the back panel says PDP-8/F, as well as the front panel. Why do you not believe those? The /F is a perfectly valid model.

jhalbrecht

Experienced Member
It is a PDP-8/F. Small box with one backplane like the /M, but it is the /F box. The /F power supply is on the left. On the /M the power supply is at the rear and the case fans are on the left.

Besides the label on the back panel says PDP-8/F, as well as the front panel. Why do you not believe those? The /F is a perfectly valid model.

Thanks for the info. The person who tried to tell me it was an 'M' recanted. I just wanted to be sure I was posting accurate information.

I read on Doug Jones site that starting with 'E' they used switching supplies. Is 'F' sequential? 50lbs - I doubt that's a switching supply in my 'F'

- Jeff

AK6DN

Veteran Member
The 8E uses a linear regulator +5V power supply. The 8F and 8M use a switching regulator +5V power supply design. 8F and 8M just have a different form factor layout in the box is all.

Don

NicDEC

Jeff,

I have recently started looking to get a PDP-8 after having built a PiDP-8 and had a chance to do some toggling. Do you have a list of the card in the system? It's hard to tell from the pictures which are present. Also I see what appears to be the same system listed on ebay at a different price from the craigslist add. Are both from you?

NicDEC

Jeff,

I would be interested in this unit if you could provide more details on what cards are present. I also see what appears to be the same item listed on ebay, is that listing also yours?.

Thanks

jhalbrecht

Experienced Member
Jeff,

I would be interested in this unit if you could provide more details on what cards are present. I also see what appears to be the same item listed on ebay, is that listing also yours?.

Thanks

The PDP 8/f that I listed on Craigslist and ePay sold on ePay. Unfortunately I didn't have email notifications turned on for my own thread and saw your questions after the auction ended. sorry about that.

NicDEC

Jeff,

No worries. I was a little slow linking together the listings in my head otherwise I would have asked on eBay. I'm sure I'll have another chance at one in the future. Thanks for updating here though.