• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Inventory

rowdy235

Hey guys! Wondering if anybody has a recommendation for vintage inventory software, preferably text based. Looking to use it for small engine parts for a side gig I have. Thanks!

Years ago I used a text editor for the inventory of my stuff and saved it as CSV so I could load it in Excel at my work. Later I started to use Excel my self but any spreadsheet program will do.

Good idea, I suppose one advantage of excel is it would be accessible on a modern machine as well.

I tried out a couple pieces of software but they don’t fit my needs. Welcoming any more suggestions!

Database.png
This is the format I already use for years. It is in Dutch so I translate it:
Plaats = place = code of box/closet/shelf/room plus a code where to find it inside the whatever. I also store where to find a specific in which closet and, in some cases, in what room this closet is to be found. This AL box can be found on shelf W-6-4 which on its turn is located in my room.
Soort = what is it, IC, Computer, Drive, Keyboard, software, book, etc.
Spec = more specifications
Omschrijving = description
Behuizing = case, in this case an IC 6 pins wide, total 28 pins. But in case of a card that can be a connector like ISA-8, ISA-16, PCI, C64-Userport, VGA, MDA, etc.
Aantal = number
Te vinden in = can be found inside

The advantage of this system: you don't have to stock, for example, all Commodore drives together. I have 1541-II drives at several places. But because of this, it is a MUST to keep your database up to date!

Have fun!

Back