• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there a market for a Tandy 1000SX ?

hanagan

I have a first computer, a Tandy 1000SX, that has not been used for many years. It was cold and gloomy around here today, so I fired it up and attempted to remember the commands. I was able to play several games and work my first word processor. Everything seems to work just as well as it did when I shut it off years ago.
At the time I purchased it, I believe that it cost about $3000.00. After that I added a 30 megabyte HD and a modem. It has 2 5.25 floppy drives. I have the original monitor and keyboard. It's amazing how much those first computers cost, compared to what we can purchase today !
Is there a market for something like this ? How would I go about selling this computer ? It's too good and holds too many memories for me to just take it to the re-cycle location.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hanagan

You're looking at around $50 give or take on the open market, not counting shipping. There is an auction site associated with these forums I believe, as well Game Gavel and eBay, among others.

As Bill pointed out they sold quite a few of those units and the rarity factor isn't really there. So the bad news is as pointed out, it's not a gold mine ;-) However it's very nice that you're not just throwing it out. It's certainly good for someone and it's worth keeping around for someone else to get the joy you have out of it.

Take a picture of it running a fun game and you'll increase the overall sale but again, it's unfortunately not difficult to find so it's better to be happy that it goes to a good home more than the money you'll get for it.

Feel free to post some pictures here if you're looking for interest in the system. It's always great when you find a local buyer and get the shipping hassle out of the equation.

I appreciate the reply

I appreciate the reply

Bary,

I'd like to thank you and Bill for your responses. Yes, I sort of knew that it didn't have a very high value. It's just that this is my first computer and I learned many of the basics sitting in front of it.
When I get a few minutes. I'll boot up my "word processor" ( Word Perfect ) and "Wheel of Fortune" and others if I can find the programs and take a few pictures and post them.
I also agree that it would be nice to find someone near Wheaton, Illinois who might be interested.
I have a further question. As I posted in my original message, I had a 30 megabyte HD installed. Now I don't know how to get my Tandy to recognize that HD. When I try "C:/ enter" to change to the HD, it doesn't appear. What am I forgetting to do ?
It's fun to learn that others still know and love the Tandy 1000SX.
Thanks again,
Hanagan

Bary,

I'd like to thank you and Bill for your responses. Yes, I sort of knew that it didn't have a very high value. It's just that this is my first computer and I learned many of the basics sitting in front of it.
When I get a few minutes. I'll boot up my "word processor" ( Word Perfect ) and "Wheel of Fortune" and others if I can find the programs and take a few pictures and post them.
I also agree that it would be nice to find someone near Wheaton, Illinois who might be interested.
I have a further question. As I posted in my original message, I had a 30 megabyte HD installed. Now I don't know how to get my Tandy to recognize that HD. When I try "C:/ enter" to change to the HD, it doesn't appear. What am I forgetting to do ?
It's fun to learn that others still know and love the Tandy 1000SX.
Thanks again,
Hanagan

Depending on the hard disk, it could be that it's not starting up. Can you hear the hard disk spin up when you turn it on?

I'll check

I'll check

I'm about to leave the house. When I have a few minutes, I'll check as you suggested.
Thanks,
Hanagan

Hanagan

If you are running the DOS operating system, the command is C: <enter>. Leave out the '/' character.

Can't seem to find drive C

Can't seem to find drive C

It's been so long since I last sat in front of the Tandy 1000SX that I have forgotten all of the commands. I know that I had a 30 Megabyte HD installed, but when I type C:, I get this message. "Invalid drive specification".
So I still can't locate my C drive.
Is there still a web posting that might serve as a refresher to DOS 3.2 ?
I'll have to admit, it is certainly fun sitting in front of my first computer again. Even if I'm not sure what I'm doing. :)

Back