• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Joystick on the Apple IIe?

IIe

Well, I came across a joystick for my IIe, but after plugging it in and selecting the joystick option in Spyhunter, I found it completely unresponsive . Does the IIe also require some sort of card to run this hardware ? Any tips are appreciated !

post a picture of how you have it attached. The Apple II connector for a joy stick is internal, on the motherboard. Do you have a serial card substituting for this default, and if so, did you load whatever program you'd need to load to bypass the default?
Bill

1st, try it in another game, If you want I'll post a joystick test program. 2nd, try another joystick to see if the port is working. You only need the built in paddle port on the IIe, no cards required.

All right, so I tried it again after adjusting some centering knobs on the side. It's a Gravis Mark VI Analog control, and it's the only one I have for the Apple, so I can't test any others to see if it's the joystick that's the problem. After trying some other games, I found out the directional stick works, but the buttons, the one on the stick and two on the side, are not working, or at least don't seem to be. However, I don't know why the stick would work and the buttons wouldn't. There are seemingly adjustment knobs for the buttons, do they need to be set a certain way?

Back