• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got my first Amiga computer!

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Just picked this guy up off craigslist for $20. Now that's what I call a deal. The seller was very nice and had to get rid of it because he's moving.

Can't wait to play around with this guy, but first I need to figure out where I'm going to put it!

Perfect starter system (an A500 needs that second floppy drive and a 512K RAM expansion in the bay to play all floppy based games). You also have a working Amiga monitor and mouse plus a ton of games on disk ready to play, can't ask for anything else (except maybe a null modem cable with a copy of Amiga Explorer to dump more game images to disk as needed plus a bootable Amiga OS 1.3 Workbench disk).

Sad so many people have to ditch stuff when moving, people today just have too much stuff (me included).

How ironic that the only non-pirated game is the game "Pirates". ;)
Haha, so true, I didn't even do that intentionally. There were actually like 2-3 other games that were in boxes, but yeah 99% are pirated.

Hey quick question, this system came with a 512K memory card/clock, but when I connect it, the machine doesn't start up properly. Do you think there's a problem with the contact or that maybe this card is dead? It's in a triangular casing, not sure how to open it to inspect the card.

You have to desolder the thing to remove the casing. It's a pain in the ass. Your problem is probably caused by a leaking battery on the card. You might be able to fix it by removing the battery and cleaning up the acid, but if the leak was bad then you're screwed.

Yea, those batteries tend to leak, I replaced the one on the RAM/RTC card with a coin cell and diode and didn't solder the cover back on (the clips hold it on).

Thanks for the tips. I'll desolder it this weekend and see if there's battery leakage anywhere. In the meantime, here's some other goodies that came with the Amiga.

I really want an Amiga... whats really frustrating me is that a friend of mine has an entire Amiga 1000 setup Mint in da Box that he won't let go of!:wallbang:

Wow, that's alot of disks!

I still have my 1st Amiga - An A500 - but it's in a 'home-made' tower case... I haven't booted it in YEARS. Maybe I should get off my duff? ;-)

I've also got an Amiga 1200 with a 68030/50 and 68881/50 and lots of ram. ;-) (can't remember what I have in it...) - and an A4000 Toaster/Flyer with a Warp/040 - all in a single HighFlyer case. ;-)

Jeff

As a fellow Amiga user, i wanted to say hello! I'm a member of the Lincolnshire Amiga group here in the UK, if you ever need any help with your beige beastie, feel free to drop me a pm. As someone said here, that is an awesome setup for starting out! The A500 is a lovely machine and the extra floppy drive is a must! Specially for games like Secret of Monkey Island hehe

Keep on gaming!
James

Back