• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 4 '84

Hello all! I have a super cool looking Kaypro 4 '84. (Well cool to me, I'm not sure how cool it is in the vintage world) I plugged it in and it worked...but the next day when I plugged it in again to try to play with it a bit, it didn't work :(
Any suggestions? I can't keep it but I would like to get it working so I can check it out and play with it a bit before I have to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Vanessa

Vanessa,

You should be getting a lot of replies on this since Kaypro has a lot of posts on this site.

First, it did work ! Great.

Why not the second time ?

Sounds like something is loose !

Check it all over and keep trying.

When it does not even work once, then that is another issue.

Also, explain in detail what you mean "that it worked ?" - details, photos of screens, etc. - specifics as to what you actually did.

In addition - what is the history of it - how did you get it, did you take the top off and check the connections, chips #'s, etc.

Do a search on this site for an extensive "knowledgebase" we have all developed.

Then let us know how you make out.

Realistically, they only go for about $50 - $100 + shipping paid for by seller - many times for free, but local pickup or shipping paid for by seller - but since weigh about 30 pounds, shipping can be expensive - but they are very rugged so should accept lots of shipping abuse.

Also, what else do you have for it - lots of software, accessories, etc. - do a list to help the sale - this site has a "free" - what a nice four [4] letter word - marketplace to put your Kaypro up for auction - check it out !

Good luck !

Frank

I will have some time to check the connections on this a bit later. Thanks for the advice. I am always nervous to touch anything inside. I don't have any photos of the screen when it first turned on. My husband was the one who originally turned it on and then when I tried it didn't work (this always happens to me...then it looks like I am the one who "broke" it, lol. Maybe I am just bad luck when it come to electronics) I will ask him for more details of when it worked and get back to you. Thanks again. This site has been so informative.

Vanessa,

Also just take some digital pictures outside - all sides - and inside - make sure power cord is disconnected first and just carefully remove the cover - 6 screws - and take pictures of the mainboard under the cover especially, but all sides also - you do not have to touch anything on the inside.

If you post them on this site, lots of people on this site can look at the pictures and tell you a lot about it, especially if there are any modifications.

You sound commercial organization - going to sell it and other computers ???

Some on this site do not like people taking free advice from this site and trying to make money off of it - so be aware of this.

If you are going to do this, you may want to check with Erik the owner of this free site about some sort of donation to help support the site - you two can discuss it - there are a lot of options - even a nominal fee for an ad for your organization on the site.

But many just like to see vintage computers be not put in the dumpster !

All the best !

Frank

P.S.

For some reason your response did not seem to appear in the "Whats New" heading at the beginning of this web site, so I did not check back earlier to see if you responded on this particular forum.

My website -WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG - has some detailed pictures of Kaypro II's that have been modified under the folder "Special" - for a 2008 Kaypro Calendar I did. They are similar, but different also, with respect to your Kaypro.

Moderators -

Should not these posts be put under the "CP/M" forum and not the "Other" forum ?

Vanessa may not be aware that it is a CP/M machine and originally posted it there.

Just a " very friendly " inquiry - know you are all so busy - thanks for all you do - but these posts may get more responses - especially the like of Tez [Tezza - New Zealand] and many other Kaypro people on this site, etc.

Also, note my remark that it did not come up on the "Whats New" heading for some reason, as far as I could determine, so I did not realize she responded.

Frank

Back