• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro GIDE Project - IDE on 4-84 / 10-83 / 10-84

Wow !

A lot of us Kaypro users will be interested in all of that !

Please keep us posted as much as possible.

Curious - you are new to this site but offer little of your background - please fill us in as much as you like - many will be interested
in our "new addtion" to the Kaypro users group on this site !!!

All the best !

Frank

About Me

About Me

Frank,

I'm a Engineer been doing that for about 25 years. retired from that now. Just getting back into this stuff for my pure pleasure now not for the Grind. I'm restoreing 6 Kaypro's right now and making severe mod's to a few of them. I don't collect them as I don't think of them as valuble in that sense, they represent to me an opertunity to expand and experiment and streatch out from old technology that was set in stone back then.
Mods to already made boards is a very good challenge for anyone looking to tinker and experiment.
I currently have about 50 of those plug in Proto boards connected to all of the signals of a Kaypro, and am in the process of making mods to the system and reprogramming the Roms so that I do not have to put a floppy in to boot!

z8coder

Sorry I missed that !

So where is Shark today ?

Anybody know - or is it something we should not know about - don't need the details, if not public, as long as he is ok.

Frank

Shark's been NOTORIOUSLY busy with work - sorry for the disappearing act...
We brought out the 5th largest ship in the world about 10 weeks ago, and it was 6mos of solid work before that, never mind normal support job for the other ships...

Spent about 5 straight weeks onboard (around 6/4 - 7/10) on the ship, which is a REALLY long time.

Haven't touched a computer older than about 2005-6 in about 2 years - no time, no time.

T

Glad to see you're still ok and around. I had wondered a few times combined with somewhat knowing your job can be dangerous so thanks for the updates :)

I'm still interested in something I can put in Kaypros that'll let me use IDE devices and boot off of them. I've received two highly modified Kaypros that I want to do something with, but both are "problem children" to some degree at present.

I'll expect to open a thread for each of these when I've got time to follow along with the help and work on them. Presently I'm wrapping up the details on my 8085 project's hardware, I should have time to sort out the Kaypros before the next project.

But I'd like to run IDE hard disks and CDs on them. My supply of ST506 drives in appropriate sizes for CP/M is dwindling.

Hi! There are N8VEM DiskIO and ECB to Z80 socket shim PCBs available if anyone would like to do some experimenting. Since the last activity on this thread I've seen another builder use the ECB to Z80 socket shim PCB to interface his educational Z80 SBC to an ECB backplane. He was using several N8VEM boards and it seemed to work fine.

A non-booting DiskIO with ECB to Z80 socket shim modification to a Kaypro would only require application level code which would probably be a good starting point. Test out the IDE interface, ATAPI, etc. There are code examples on the N8VEM wiki. A bootable solution would require an update to the Kaypro EPROM.

Certainly this is possible if anyone wants to pursue it. I haven't heard much on this recently though.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Back