• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Linux Ubuntu on Pentium 3 600mhz

Administrator

Administrator
For the last month i have been running ubuntu 5.10 on my internet server i must say it runs verry well all i needed to do to get a copy or 30 is goto: www.ubuntu.com and create an account and order cd's for free and they arrived 4 weeks latter.

I think ubuntu is a great opperating system that comes with a Install cd and a live cd and works on Pentium and up.

NathanAllan said:
How do you think it'll run on a 166mhz laptop with 96mb of ram?

I think you'll find that current Linux distros tend to run poorly, if at all, on older hardware. No surprise, since they are built with the idea that they'll have a speedy CPU and gobs of RAM available.

You should get better performance out of a distro that is contemporary to the hardware, say something like Red Hat 5.2

Maybe you'll find something that works for you here: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/
(I had sent them RH 5.2, but doesn't seem to be up yet)

If it runs slow as a gui then that's okay. I just need command line mainly for my class. win2k is currently on the laptop, and it's functional but slow. For the machine that's really high overhead. I'm also looking at solaris8 as cmdline only.

Funny thing with the two laptops. I have to swap the fdd from one to the other cause I only have one. win2k does'nt like the fdd, but it works flawlessly on the win95/dos one. Same drive, different win's, and 2k doesn't like it or anything 720k or below. The drive can do it but 2k can't.

I want linux to solve this problem, too.

Is there a version of ms-dos that will run under linux? I'll occaisionally have to use that(and would hate to have to boot to a floppy every time).

5.1 was meant for a 400mhz machine or better if i were you i would go with ver 5.04 or older, you can install only text based on the boot screen type "server" for a server install, this will give you text based only. i am currently running 5.1 on my athlon64 and my freind was running 5.04 on a pII and it was really fast.
if you find that it dosent work out try a minimalist distro like DSL Linux or Tiny Linux, they can run on anything.

I'll check out 5.04. I tried the live cd of dsl but didn't really like it. I'm not dsicounting it yet cause I'm new but I wanna get more of a feel of what's there before I go with one. And heck, I can run several different oines on the same machine, right? I LOVE this kind of flexibility.

NathanAllan said:
Is there a version of ms-dos that will run under linux? I'll occaisionally have to use that(and would hate to have to boot to a floppy every time).

a while back i used a program called dosemu (http://www.dosemu.org). because i needed access to a dos assembler under linux. it ran pretty good, you might give it a shot and see if it works for you.

on another note, i think slackware would be a very good choice for that laptop especially if your using it for that unix fundamentals (solaris) class. (by the way i took that class a couple of years ago, epcc northwest campus right?) slackware is a lot more unixy than most of the distros out there. distros like redhat and suse like to do things a little different, so if your used to working with solaris it might be a little frustrating using those distros. just my opinion since i've been down that road, your better off with slackware or even a bsd variant (freebsd,netbsd, or openBSD).

Back