• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for all Infocom Adventures for CP/M

Updating this thread with the good news - I've pulled together a new CP/M Infocom game loader. Depending on your CP/M configuration it can load most or all infocom games in z1-z5 format, with some limited text-only support for some z6 games.
The code history comes originally from @JohnElliott 's hard work with ZXZVM, and involves speed rewrites, extra version support and other features like disk cache. The main compromise needed for the CP/M version was that speed was prioritised, so the larger games such as Trinity can only load in the large TPA versions.
I've called this new version Vezza, and have included more details as well as over 20 versions to cover different platforms/configurations; all on Gitlab - if you can't find a version that suits or have any other feedback, let me know!
Main features:
* z1, z2, z3, z4, z5, z6, z7 and z8 games can execute
* Supports full screen width and multi line status (where terminal allows)
* Named game save and load
* Timed input on CP/M 3 and MSX-DOS (to support game such as BorderZone)
* Reverse text highlighting, including when selected using colour changing codes (or substituted e.g. for MSX)
* Underline and/or Bold where available on the terminal
* Colour where available (currently MicroBee & VT100, using VT100/ANSI colour codes)
* Accented chatacters are converted to a printable character
* Fast execution of games (even z3 games now execute faster than the original)
* z3 status line supports am/pm time including Cut Throats easter egg
* Non-banked CP/M supports up to 22K DynMem games (won't load Trinity or Beyond Zork for example)
* Banked CP/M version supports up to 37k DynMem (will load Trinity + Beyond Zork)
* 2KB z-machine stack size (over 50 call levels deep)
* Uses standard BDOS calls
Thanks for this fantastic project, I had two questions about using on two machines I have:

Which version would you recommend I use with my Zeta SBC? I assume the vezza-b.com build for banked RAM and CPM3 would be ideal for 512k and RomWBW, correct?

I also have a 128k MSX2 which can run both MSX-DOS and CPM3, would you recommend using the MSX-DOS version or one of the CPM3 versions? Would the ideal version for CPM3 in that case also be vezza-b.com?

Thanks for this fantastic project, I had two questions about using on two machines I have:

Which version would you recommend I use with my Zeta SBC? I assume the vezza-b.com build for banked RAM and CPM3 would be ideal for 512k and RomWBW, correct?

I also have a 128k MSX2 which can run both MSX-DOS and CPM3, would you recommend using the MSX-DOS version or one of the CPM3 versions? Would the ideal version for CPM3 in that case also be vezza-b.com?
Thank you!
I would need to know more about your Zeta to understand the best option - let me know how you connect to it? What kind of terminal do you use? e.g. linux terminal with VT100 support? The challenge with z5 is to get the most from it, you need to have significant control of the screen, which means you need to refine for the available control codes.

For your MSX2 I would definitely recommend the MSX-2 MSX-DOS version. ` vezza-M2.COM - 80x24 MSX-DOS - needs manual switch to 80 column "MODE 80"` It's been tuned to the available terminal characteristics to make the most of the platform. If you do get that up and running I would love a photo of real hardware playing a previously unavailable game, e.g. Sherlock. Let me know how you go!

Very nice work @sijnstra ! I’ll have to see if I can get CP/M 3 going on my TRS-80 4P.

- Alex
Thanks @ajacocks !! For a model 4P I would recommend my other project which shares the same optimised core - M4ZVM - I have both 64k and 128k versions available. The 128k version takes advantage of the upper memory and allows for a broader range of games to be played. Let me know if you have any questions. I personally use a Model 4P as one of my platforms. The commonly available CP/M 3 appears to be the non-banked version which isn't as much fun. I don't know if a banked CP/M 3 is available.

Thank you!
I would need to know more about your Zeta to understand the best option - let me know how you connect to it? What kind of terminal do you use? e.g. linux terminal with VT100 support? The challenge with z5 is to get the most from it, you need to have significant control of the screen, which means you need to refine for the available control codes.

For your MSX2 I would definitely recommend the MSX-2 MSX-DOS version. ` vezza-M2.COM - 80x24 MSX-DOS - needs manual switch to 80 column "MODE 80"` It's been tuned to the available terminal characteristics to make the most of the platform. If you do get that up and running I would love a photo of real hardware playing a previously unavailable game, e.g. Sherlock. Let me know how you go!
The Zeta has it's own built in terminal emulation with VGA and PS2 ports, I'm now realizing that I've never checked if it emulates a particular terminal because the support is built in to RomWBW: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/parportprop

It would appear to essentially emulate an ANSI terminal, because it has support for 64 colors of text on the VGA output.

I will be very happy to get you a picture of the MSX running one of the fancier Infocom games.

The Zeta has it's own built in terminal emulation with VGA and PS2 ports, I'm now realizing that I've never checked if it emulates a particular terminal because the support is built in to RomWBW: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/parportprop

It would appear to essentially emulate an ANSI terminal, because it has support for 64 colors of text on the VGA output.

I will be very happy to get you a picture of the MSX running one of the fancier Infocom games.
Based on that I would suggest the best one to try for your Zeta will be ` vezza-CC.com - 80x24 RunCPM VT100 with colour` as that one uses ANSI terminal codes with the added bonus of colour. The only challenge might be that it also assumes a large TPA so do let me know how you go. Would be great to confirm another system setup that works.

Thank you - looking forward to seeing it in action!

Thanks @sijnstra - great work. Playing The Witness right now on my Zorba with the Vezza-h2.com build.
That's fantastic! Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll take a look. I would love a photo of the Zorba running a z4 (plus series) or z5 game such as Nord & Bert if you can?

Back