• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Apple II EULA

jrreed84

Hey,

I'm doing a research paper for a Computer Science Ethics course. In particular, I hope to determine whether it was ethical for Apple seek copyright protection on it's object code with out the publication of the corresponding source code for programs copied by Franklin Computer Corporation in the "Apple vs. Franklin" case. I'm leaning towards no, however, I think had they published the source code along with the object code, then they should be able to use copyright for protection.

One of my arguments is based on the fact that Congress commissioned CONTU to determine changes to be made to copyright with respect to computers. They recommended that rightful possessors of programs should have the right to modify their programs for personal use. However, that's pretty much impossible to do with object code alone, you'd most likely need the source code. Since the source code wasn't published, you would then have to reverse engineer it. I am wondering whether their is a provision in the EULA for the copied programs banning the reverse engineering of the programs. Should such a provision exist, i would then hope to prove using the software engineering code of ethics that this Apple was acting unethically.

If anyone has a manual, or can point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

Cheers,
James

:)

Back