• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for some things for my AT&T 3B2/310

mpatoray

Experienced Member
Hello all,

I am looking for a few things for my AT&T 3B2/310, the first thing is a terminal for it. I am currently trying to use my TRS-80 model 100 and it just does not work for this use.

i would also like to see about getting a copy of the software discs for it, just in case I need to reinstall everything.

Can anyone help me out here?

Matt

I am looking for a few things for my AT&T 3B2/310, the first thing is a terminal for it.
I am currently trying to use my TRS-80 model 100 and it just does not work for this use.
Do you mean it's actually not working? Or that you can't deal with the 40x4 display?
I know that it works because I've done it; it's just a matter of the correct cable and connector.
(IIRC, a black cable and a TERPRI connector)

In the past, I've used a nice VT102 emulator called DGTERM.
It's for DOS but it's small and fast and does a good job.

No it does work, but 40 columns looses its novelty very quickly.

i also don't have a DOS box, and i have not been able to find a terminal emulator for Mac OS X that will work with teh keyspan USB-Serial adaptor I have.

i have not been able to find a terminal emulator for Mac OS X that will work with teh keyspan USB-Serial adaptor
While I'm not a Mac user, I'd be inclined to pop open a terminal window and see if minicom is installed.
If not, see if you can install it. Then you just need to know what device that USB/Serial adaptor comes up as
and tell minicom to use that port.

Ah hah, a fellow 3B2 lover. See, what you need is one of these : http://i.imgur.com/HycAQ.jpg
:D
But, any normal RS-232 terminal works well - if you can't find something closer I might be able to be pursuaded to go digging in storage, I know I have lots of spare Wyse terminals...

As for software, I've managed to collect and accumulate a fair amount of it, I'm working on cataloguing it all, but I definitely have the system disks. What version of Unix are you running?

One thing I am looking for is the Wollongong TCP/IP 3.2. Right now I'm running 3.0.1, and it's kind of buggy.

-Ian

You might take a look around your local recycle center - a lot of businesses that used dedicated terminals have been ditching them in recent years, so it's quite possible you could find one for cheap or free there.

There's always the Briel Computers PockeTerm:

http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=6

I don't own one, but the people I know who do seem to like them pretty well.

Minicom under OS X is what I've used in the past. Your problem may be with the USB -> RS232 adapter though...a lot of them don't provide true RS-232 levels.

I have a PockeTerm. It works pretty well. It's not true VT100 emulation though. Most stuff works with it, but more complicated screen editors have problems on occasion.

And don't forget, you can use almost any other old computer in your collection as a terminal. There are many fine Apple IIe terminal programs, for instance (the II+ makes a lousy terminal, because even with an 80 column card that does lower case, the keyboard is missing enough keys to be really annoying). I don't know what other computers you may have, but the common ones - Apple IIe, IIgs, //c, compact Macintosh, early PC's, etc all have very good, functional terminal emulators available.

But, of course, I know you want a real terminal. There's something to be said for a nice hardware terminal... Like I said, I know I've got some extra Wyses, probably some VT420's or somesuch tucked away - send me a PM if you can't find something local.

-Ian

See, what you need is one of these
I do have one of those, just no 3B2's any more, so it's just a sweet 132x66 terminal with long persistance phospor.

I understand there's a version of "layers" that compiles on some flavor of BSD.
Anybody got a pointer?

Thanks.

Back