• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh programming

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
So I have a Mac Classic II, and anyone who ever owned an early 90s Mac should know there are two buttons on the side or front for some reason. I figured out the one on the right restarts the Mac, and the one on the left brings up a prompt of some sort, that looks like it may be some sort of prompt to input programming language into the Mac. Does anybody know any of that language, or what the prompt is for? I have tried giving it info, and after I press enter the Mac eats it and it dissapears off the screen. can't seem to make it do anything special.

Thanks for help
-Ryan

It might help if you tell us the system ver you're using. If I recall correctly, I only have experience w/ System 1 & 7.2, but hell, SOMEONE here should know the answer.

EDIT: From what information I can find, the button will either call up whatever debugger you have installed, or call one from ROM. You might want to do some research on mac debuggers I guess...

Last edited:
I am using System 7.0.1 on a Macintosh Classic II. Thanks for the link, I still need to check it out :smile:

EDIT: checked the link. No dice. I am definatley not running an iMac or an eMac

Well, link was mainly for more info on the programmer's switch thing. A Mac expert, I'm not. Just recently figured out the that Apple decided to make their monitor connections totally non-VGA. I have a old PowerMac sitting here and tried to get it running. It appears to run fine, I just couldn't see anything because no Mac monitor. I have since procured a conversion attachment. I'll have to fire it up again.

It is a programmers switch and activates the debugger, which is not installed by default so you need a version of Macsbug. There are others old ones from apple but I am unsure if they work with mac classic II (maxbug, midibug, termbuga, termbugb)

Ohyeah, I know the monitor accepts some old style monitor commands, G for instance will drop you into the currently running application or finder (or G FINDER). I haven't played with any memory commands without the debugger but try some. like D XXXX XXXX (range of memory to dissasemble)

Last edited:
This Note is directed at bored developers looking for something historically interesting to read on the train going home after a hard day's coding. It's also directed at developers trying to debug a problem that disappears when they install MacsBug.

Ha, hillarious!
Thanks for the link!

Back