• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Minix?

Hi CP/M user I have heard of Minix somewhere.Where is the web site?
I have found a old version(Rare) of AU/X which is a Unix based system for older macintoshes at archaic apples.I'm tempted to download it except that it is a monster 120 megabyte download.Of course the new versions of Macintoshes use Unix now.I want to buy a new one.It's tempting.

"Jon Jarmon" wrote in message:

> Hi CP/M user I have heard of Minix somewhere.
> Where is the web site?

> I have found a old version(Rare) of AU/X which
> is a Unix based system for older macintoshes at
> archaic apples.I'm tempted to download it except
> that it is a monster 120 megabyte download.Of
> course the new versions of Macintoshes use Unix
> now.I want to buy a new one.It's tempting.

This should be able to assist you:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html

As far as I know, it's only an IBM compatable OS.

You might be able to get AU/X possibly from any
Mac Based Computer Markets, or maybe PC based
ones, generally they should have software for both
users of those machines.

Cheers.

Minix

Minix

Minix is available for Intel processors and for the Motorola 68000. I have disks for Amiga Minix, and I think there was a version for Atari hardware.

-ethan

Re: Minix

"erd" wrote in message:

> Minix is available for Intel processors
> and for the Motorola 68000. I have
> disks for Amiga Minix, and I think
> there was a version for Atari
> hardware.

That makes it even better then! :)

Cheers.

CP/M User said:
"erd" wrote in message:

> Minix is available for Intel processors and for the... Amiga... and... Atari

That makes it even better then! :)

Cheers.

It's a great way to learn operating system fundamentals. Andy Tanenbaum's book, "Operating Systems Design and Implementation" (http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/tanenbaum/)is the companion textbook. I've had a copy of the first edition since it was new (1987).

Minix 1.5 is available for 68000 processors, and Minix 2.0 is available for Intel and SPARC processors here -> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/getting_minix.html If anyone wants to pitch in, they are looking for volunteers to port Minix 2.0 to the 68000. If I ever find myself with a lot of time on my hands, I might volunteer to do the Amiga port. It's the only UNIX-y thing available that doesn't require an MMU.

-ethan

There is a version of Minix 1.5 that runs inside a window on a Mac. I have it on my LC ('020).

there evidently was a type of UNIX available for the Atari St's. There was a recent post on cctech/cctalk where someone obtained it and was willing to send it to people even I think. He was running it on a TT030 with 4 megs of ram. Of course some cctech snob had to give him crap over it. I love cctech/talk these days, and have gotten lots of responses and help. I'm not running it down. Just that there's a few morons who have to talk smack when someone has something useful to offer.
If you have trouble finding the post, send me a private message, and if I still have it, I'll forward the person's e-mail address.
The Tanenbaum book is a classic. I haven't read much of it yet, by I own the first edition, and it can be gotten rather cheaply on amzon IIRC. The text that in effect started the whole Linux thing. My searches have indicated that MINIX
was ported to a few incompatibles, can't remember which ones. Maybe someone was just thinking about it lol. The source code was provided in the text, and you could more or less do what you wanted with it.

Back