• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My collection's photo gallery.

RWallmow

Veteran Member
I know its in my sig, but I figure now that my gallery is fairly complete I would post a thread with a link.

My Vintage Computer Photo Gallery

Most of these have been collected over a little more than 15 years, really started at about age 14 when I started rebuilding old computers and reselling them so I could save up and upgrade from the 486-50 my parents got me and build myself the "uber" PC (first incarnation was a AMD K6-266, 64mb ram and 16mb Voodoo card, been constantly upgrading since). Some of the oddities, and duplicates I have come across I have kept for myself, and ended up selling all the rest to finance this love of computers.

As much as I love my old PCs, my FIRST computer (my grandparents bought it for me when I was about 10 or 11) was an Apple //c, so I still have a special place in my collection for vintage Apple gear, especially of the Apple ][ variety.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
Very nice stuff, wish I could have some of it.:) Is the Apple //c's monitor original? I thought they came with the little monitor on the stand.

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Very nice stuff, wish I could have some of it.:) Is the Apple //c's monitor original? I thought they came with the little monitor on the stand.
Most people did have the small green mono monitor, but I was lucky enough to have got the Apple //c color composite monitor. I do have one of the small green mono screens in my collection, I use it with my IIc Plus.

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Now you need a Commodore of some type and something with CP/M on it. :)
I do keep my eye out for Commodore gear, but I have never actively seeked it out, basically just waiting for one to come through one of my few scrap dealers.

At one time I did have a CP/M machine, but I really didn't know what to do with it, had no keyboard or monitor that seemed to work on it. I can't recall what brand it was for sure but I want to say Zenith? I do recall it having a Z80 CPU, but beyond that I don't remember, it was probably over 10 years ago, and I never did see the thing boot (due to no monitor and keyboard problem). I want to say I pulled its drives and recycled the rest, didn't know any better then, I recycled a lot of stuff that would be vintage and collectable now back in the day.

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Very nice collection and well organized too. I like! One question. What do you do with a 4GB microdrive on a IIGS? I think a 256MB CF card is too much!

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Very nice collection and well organized too. I like! One question. What do you do with a 4GB microdrive on a IIGS? I think a 256MB CF card is too much!
I already had the 4GB microdrive (and it was an apple part since it was pulled from an ipod), I didn't want to go spend more money on a smaller card, and the only other card I had at the time was a 64mb, which was too small. Really about a 1gb card would probably be perfect in a IIgs, there's lots of IIgs software out there to fill 1gb.

dtremit

That's a very nice collection! My first computer was a //c with the Color Composite as well -- wish I still had it.

I couldn't help noticing the Exceltel terminal -- the fact that you mention it was French makes me think it was related in some way to the Minitel system. A bit of searching suggests that US West rolled out a Minitel system pilot in Omaha, NE in the early '90s, called "Community Link." So my suspicion is that your terminal was originally part of that system.

Here's a link with some info: http://lawlessguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/90s-experiment-in-online-systems-us.html

RWallmow

Veteran Member
That's a very nice collection! My first computer was a //c with the Color Composite as well -- wish I still had it.

I couldn't help noticing the Exceltel terminal -- the fact that you mention it was French makes me think it was related in some way to the Minitel system. A bit of searching suggests that US West rolled out a Minitel system pilot in Omaha, NE in the early '90s, called "Community Link." So my suspicion is that your terminal was originally part of that system.

Here's a link with some info: http://lawlessguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/90s-experiment-in-online-systems-us.html
Thanks, I will never let my //c setup go, too much emotional attachment there.

I found some other info showing that "USWest" had bought some of these in the early 90's too. But that info was in french, so it was a little hard to understand (google translate isn't perfect).

I live in a former USWest area, which later became Qwest, and now has become CenturyLink, so I guess to find these around here isn't too far fetched. Its the only one I have ever seen though, and it came into my collection probably 15 years ago so I honestly don't remember where I got it, just one of those things that was so odd I kept it, and have now documented it on my gallery for others to enjoy :)