• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My new Apple II setup

thefoolonthehill

Experienced Member
I got two Apple IIcs, a power cord, and an Apple Personal Modem 300/1200 on eBay. The description says one Apple II doesn't work, but the other powers up, but the one which does work is missing the floppy disk drive door, and they're both missing keys. I plan to swap the guts with the cases, because the one which works's case is pretty worn; and swap the disk drives because one is missing a peice, and pull out the open apple key from the broken one and pop it into the working one.

thats my plan, but I also have a question about the modem... what can I do with it these days?! I'm sure there are no more BBS's around, and I'm also sure that I can't buy time with mainframes anymore... so, what?

I think that right now you can only dial up somebody else who has a similar setup, unfortunately. If you look around I think there are a few websites designed for old machines like that one.

When my server goes online *then* you'll have access to file sharing, chatting, forums, and whatever else I can make it do. But til then options are limited. This is where I originally posted the idea. It's still being worked on, little by lilttle but that qualifies :)

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=2494

I think it is fun to get a "fix 'r upper" computer and restore it. I had a Lisa 2 that I restored to full functionality a few years back. With 2 computers to work with, you should be able to get one working completely.

As far as the keyboard goes, you are ok if the keys are missing and not broken off. I do see keyboards on ebay all the time for the //c so I wouldn't worry. Keep us updated.

Vince

There are still BBS's but most are telnet.

thefoolonthehill said:
I got two Apple IIcs, a power cord, and an Apple Personal Modem 300/1200 on eBay. The description says one Apple II doesn't work, but the other powers up, but the one which does work is missing the floppy disk drive door, and they're both missing keys. I plan to swap the guts with the cases, because the one which works's case is pretty worn; and swap the disk drives because one is missing a peice, and pull out the open apple key from the broken one and pop it into the working one.

thats my plan, but I also have a question about the modem... what can I do with it these days?! I'm sure there are no more BBS's around, and I'm also sure that I can't buy time with mainframes anymore... so, what?

I did a quick google search and foudn that there *are* telnet apps, irc and other things to be used with the apple II. I stand corrected! I'm glad! There seems to be a few bbs's out there also. I don't know how many wouldn't be long-distance or anything. But they're out there.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a solid dial-up program for the apple that also offers terminal emulation like VT100 or VT52? This way you could connect to any VMS/UNIX machine that offers shell access and use all the programs like ftp, lynx, ircd etc.

Cheers!
SainT

Back