• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Needed: Overdrive for MOtorollo 68010 Processor

rmay635703

Veteran Member
Needed: Overdrive for MOtorollo 68010 Processor. I know that a couple drop in overdrives existed for the original Motorolla 68k (one was the 68010) but very few of the 68020 & 30 drop in processor cards were compatible with the 68010 instruction set.

I am curious if any of you know the brands and models of CPU upgrades that were drop in compatible with the original 68000/68010 processors?

I know of many Amiga only upgrades but I need the upgrade to be capable of being code compatible with the motorolla 68010 without software updates which on my machine are impossible.

I also cannot use the processor on a expansion card solution either as my machine is not an amiga but just as usefull.

I am finding that getting more modern printers to run nice on my old Futura 100 gets rather slow and a faster rastizing processor would do wonders. I no longer have the luxury of having a working overclockable Futura so I need a cpu upgrade/replacement that does not need the bus clock upped as the hardware I am dealing with now is too slow especially on the memory side to do much with.

I have been considering rebuilding this TTL computer with modern rams and modern logic but I'm uncertain how I would accomplish this, the machine is fairly simple but I just have no idea how to start. I have been tempted to image the bios roms and try them in a 68k evaluation board but I somehow doubt I would get very far.

Thank You For Any Info
Ryan

Motorola 68K replacement CPUs? Does overdrive equal higher clocked, like the late 486/Pentium Overdrive processors? It is something I have never heard of before, but just in case you do own research, you may be more lucky if you search for Motorola (only one l in their brand name).

Not exactly I am not looking to clock double. I am looking to drop in a more modern processor like a 68020 to improve instruction performance at the same clock speed.

There were a handfull of processor cards that would drop right into the motorollo 68k socket and upgrade you to a 68020 or 68030, sadly most of these required a software update as they were not code compatible with the original 68k. They are NOT like a 486dx2 at all, they actually have to do some voltage changes and pinout changes and have some hardware on the card, to make the chip work with the older arcitecture, somewhat Like taking a Pentium II and Dropping it into a 486. Some of the cards would double or triple or even more to the clock but that isn't important, even a 30% increase in performance would make a HUGE difference!

What I was doing was running one of my more modern futuras with 50ns ram at 14.78mhz instead of its native 10mhz (using a 12.5mhz 68010 chip). Sadly this system had the traces to the keyboard port blow and I have not been able to figure out how to fix the port there seems to be voltage leaking, my older futuras all have slow non-removable video rams and cannot be run faster than 12mhz, some I can't even get to run reliably @ 10mhz now (some of the chips must be getting old and tired)

Due to the nature of many motorolla systems developers did make devices to overdrive motorolla chips with newer processors but they were/are expensive and are not very common.

Even with this I am interested in finding one, so I ideally would need names of companies that manufactured the overdrives and the models that worked so I can start ebaying and googling for them.

Cheers
Ryan

Back