• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New retrocomputing podcast "Floppy Days"

rkindig

I'm in the process of starting up a new retrocomputing podcast I'm calling "Floppy Days". It's going to be a survey of important personal computers in history based on the historical timeline at http://oldcomputers.net/. It will likely include some important vintage calculators as well. I will focus on things like "the day in history", specs, emulation, popular books & magazine, user groups & shows, popular software, modern upgrades, and connectivity to modern computers.

Please all keep an eye on iTunes and I will post again when the first (introductory) episode is up. I hope you all listen and provide feedback. I'm not an expert on all these systems, so I'm hoping for help from the community in letting everyone know about the best aspects of their favorite systems.

If there's any particular systems that anyone would like me to cover, please contact me at randy@kindig.name.

thanks!

Randy Kindig
Indianapolis

Sounds great. Are you going to be following the Old Computers timeline in order, or jumping around?

Hi Carrington! I will try to go in order, but at times may jump around if there's another machine I want to do. I'm excited about doing this!

Sounds good. Are you going to look models primarily sold in North America, or cover those sold in Europe too? The BBC and Sinclair machines were big in the UK. EACA made a mark in Australia and New Zealand with the Dick Smith System 80 (a rebadged EACA TRS-80 Model 1 clone machine) and there was the Microbee in Australia also.

Tez

Floppy Days Podcast

Floppy Days Podcast

Sounds good. Are you going to look models primarily sold in North America, or cover those sold in Europe too? The BBC and Sinclair machines were big in the UK. EACA made a mark in Australia and New Zealand with the Dick Smith System 80 (a rebadged EACA TRS-80 Model 1 clone machine) and there was the Microbee in Australia also.

Tez

I only have North American models in my collection, unfortunately. I know nothing about the European or Australian machines. However, I would certainly love to learn more about them and would love to do podcasts on some of the more popular machines. As long as there are sites and emulators out there, I may try that, but I prefer to work off the real machine. There's nothing like the look and feel of the real vintage hardware!

Is this show alive? If so, RSS Feed URL please.... (I don't do iTunes)

K

It's not live yet. I did just record the first show. Now I need to work my way through getting it posted on iTunes. Please watch for it, and I'll post on here when it's available.

Thanks for your interest!

Randy

I've posted the first show!

I've posted the first show!

Hi, David, I've posted the first episode of the Floppy Days retrocomputing podcast. It's been submitted to iTunes, but it says it may take a couple of days to show up there. In the meantime, the show can be downloaded from floppydays.libsyn.com.

I would very much appreciate any feedback anyone might have, including yourself, Earl, and Carrington. Future episodes will have more meat. This first episode is basically getting to know the host's (me) background, my collection, and a discussion of things to come.

(I'm finding out how much work it is to put together a podcast!)

thanks

Randy Kindig
floppydays@gmail.com
voice mail 206-426-7200
Web site floppydays.libsyn.com

Randy, this still going to happen?

Best,

David Greelish
- Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
- Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

http://about.me/davidgreelish

Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

Randy,

Well done for getting the first episode out the door. The first one must be pretty daunting, but from this point on you seem to have a good idea of where you want to go with it.

I understand the appeal of getting the podcast into iTunes, but am very happy that it can also be accessed directly on libsyn.

As you can see from my signature, I am already spreading the word and look forward to future episodes.

Thanks

Lorry

Last edited:
Floppydays.libsyn.com

Floppydays.libsyn.com

Sounds cool will have to add it to my list of Podcasts. Will you have a show page where you can download all the episodes from.

Hi Harmik, it can be downloaded at floppydays.libsyn.com

Thanks

Randy

Back