• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti Modulo M4 40

tmdmiranda

I'm really a noob at this so i apologize firstly if im posting this in the wrong area, I recently got interested in older computers and as it so happened my mother used and owned an old Olivetti Modulo m4 40, I tried to start it connecting it to it's monitor, but for some reason it won't post/pass signal to the monitor, as the monitor really isn't doing anything (I've tested other monitors too) and the keyboard is lighting all lights but they won't turn off, for example caps is on no matter if I press or not. I don't really see any lights turning on but I hear what I think is the fans spinning inside.

You don't just power up old electronics without first going over everything. Slapping full mains voltage on something that's been powered off for years or decades is when you start blowing stuff up.

Since you're getting keyboard activity, that shows that the PSU is at least doing something, but you need to measure all of the power rails to make sure they're correct.

You also need to inspect the motherboard for any damage, like leaking clock batteries. If you have a barrel battery, it needs to be removed immediately. If you have a Dallas RTC brick, it's probably dead. Many old computers will not function properly without a CMOS battery of some sort.

Other things to check would be the memory and CPU.

Back