• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 1.x on Toshiba t3100e?

Simmo1010

I've done all the usual stuff with my Toshiba t3100e - fixed the hinge, replaced the dead HDD with an SD card set up as a 40MB disk and maxed out the memory to 5MB following the SIMM modification instructions elsewhere on this forum. It's happily running DOS 3.30, but I want to try a bit of OS hopping and thought OS/2 might be a good place to start - looks like I was wrong ...

I've tried countless combinations of IBM and MS OS/2 from 1.1 to 1.31 (using images from WinWorld) on the virtual t3100e in pcem, and about half a dozen on a real floppy in my real t3100e, but I can't get any of them to boot the first install floppy image. pcem normally hangs with a blank screen after a short burst of floppy activity and on the real t3100e I just get a non-system disk error. Reading other posts here, it looks like I need the Toshiba OEM version of OS/2 configured for the t3100e's BIOS - that does seem to exist (there's a picture of the box here https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php?title=Toshiba_MS_OS/2_Version_1.21 ), but I can't find any disk images anywhere.

So two questions ...
1. Am I missing something obvious? Is there any chance I'll get a "generic" version of IBM or MS OS/2 working?
2. If not, any pointers to disk images of the Toshiba OEM version?

Thanks,

Ian.

So to answer my own question after more random stabbing in the dark ...

The Nokia OEM version of Microsoft OS/2 1.10 works on the Toshiba t3100e. For completeness, the AST version won't boot the install disk, the Zenith version will boot the install disk but crashes shortly after. The display is a bit messed up (full of horizontal lines), but I think that may be the Toshiba's plasma display trying to display colour? I'll start a new thread in the software technical support forum on that.

To keep on answering my own questions ...

The screen was messed up because OS/2 was trying to use the standard CGA driver on the Toshiba's 640x400 screen. Luckily the Compaq Portable III has the same resolution (possibly the same plasma screen??) so if you UNPACK DMPLASMA.DL@ from Disk04 of the Compaq OEM version of MS OS/2 1.10 and copy that to \OS2\DLL\DISPLAY.DLL the display works perfectly (you can't overwrite DISPLAY.DLL while OS/2 is running so either boot the t3100e from a DOS floppy, or mount the SD card from a PC, to do the copy).

I promise I'll stop talking to myself now ...

Back