• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne Executive boot troubles

FrHilderbrand

Having some trouble booting my Osborne Executive. Anyone have the foggiest as to what might cause this failure state? I power on the computer and it self-tests fine. I have a boot disk in drive A. I press enter and it gives me ... this. When I reset it and hit enter, it simply returns a boot error.

The computer had been working every time I'd boot, then every other time, and now it won't boot at all. I removed each socketed chip, washed the legs and socket with rubbing alcohol, allowed them to dry, and reinserted them correctly. No change.

Is the BIOS chip going bad? Is this a RAM failure? Is it a drive A problem? Or am I running in the wrong direction altogether? Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IAUFL-H_.jpg
    IAUFL-H_.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 5
I don't know a lot about the Osborne Executive, but some elements are common to all computers. Bad ram can and does happen, and would affect execution, but would not be likely to operate normally prior to a physical reset.

Bad data from the boot sector can also have unreliable results.

ROMs are unlikely to be bad, and it's clear you have video and execution, so that much is good.

Usual troubleshooting applies - Do you have more than one boot disk? Have you checked the RAM? etc.

Regards
David

Back