• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Photos of My Home Arcade Machine Area and More with Commentary

Looks nice, that is just a MAME cabinet then purchased prebuilt or did you do some tweeking? I was tempted to buy one years back but one design would not realy work for me and most use computer monitors instead of the more expensive (but correct) verticle mounted tubes the original arcades used.

I still regret not buying some cheap original 80's arcade games in the later 90's. Then again space, power, and keeping them running were the issues and not purchase price.

OMG Bill, you have to be the coolest person I know. For starters, that arcade machine looks REALLY awesome. Did you wire it yourself? Is that a home-made cabinet, or(and I assume it is this) did you buy a non-working arcade center and modify it for your needs?

Really cool that you've got the basement for yourself. It's ALMOST a shame you didn't get to use the main living area for your gaming and whatnot, but with it all in the basement(which doesn't LOOK like a basement, I'd believe you if you said it was the first floor) you have somewhere private you can go to get away from things and be alone with your goodies.

How long did it take you to build the arcade system to suit your needs? Roughly how much did it cost?

--Jack

Looks nice, that is just a MAME cabinet then purchased prebuilt or did you do some tweeking? I was tempted to buy one years back but one design would not realy work for me and most use computer monitors instead of the more expensive (but correct) verticle mounted tubes the original arcades used.

I still regret not buying some cheap original 80's arcade games in the later 90's. Then again space, power, and keeping them running were the issues and not purchase price.

It's from Dream Authentics and I got it several years back. I've done some tweaking since getting it though. Essentially what you get from them is the wired cabinet with the computer with a clean install of XP. It's up to you to do the rest.

It's a genuine Well Gardner 27" arcade monitor with a matching ArcadeVGA card in the XP computer, so it gives you authentic arcade refresh rates and resolutions. It's horizontal rather than vertical so it's more compatible across a wider range of games.

Besides MAME, I also use Windows Media Player, various other games like pinball and laser disc, SlingPlayer (which gives me full remote access of my HD cable), satellite radio, etc. It's as versatile as any computer with the restriction that the arcade monitor really only supports up to 800x600 and very specific refresh rates.

OMG Bill, you have to be the coolest person I know. For starters, that arcade machine looks REALLY awesome. Did you wire it yourself? Is that a home-made cabinet, or(and I assume it is this) did you buy a non-working arcade center and modify it for your needs?

See above. It's from Dream Authentics with some modifications. It was roughly a $4000 machine at the time, though I got it for much less in return for some advertising.

Really cool that you've got the basement for yourself. It's ALMOST a shame you didn't get to use the main living area for your gaming and whatnot, but with it all in the basement(which doesn't LOOK like a basement, I'd believe you if you said it was the first floor) you have somewhere private you can go to get away from things and be alone with your goodies.

Yeah, the basement is mine, the other two floors are for my wife, though I have quite a few goodies in other parts of our house, including a very nice home theater in the family room with all the modern consoles.

It's old now (from April 2008 ) and I've expanded a bit, but you can see the rest of the basement in this video if you're interested (where most of the rest of my collection is): http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/1836

How long did it take you to build the arcade system to suit your needs? Roughly how much did it cost?

--Jack

All the hard work was already done (the hardware and cabinet parts), but it's taken me years to find the time to tweak all the software to my liking. I'm getting very close to getting it to the point where I'm going to lock it down as-is and do a clone of the hard drive in case disaster strikes.

Back