• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problem detecting hard disk in Amstrad PC1512

sgros

Hi!

I used to have Amstrad PC1512 that I gave long time ago. Recently I acquired another one, but this one has also hard disk in the middle ISA slot. The problem is that, after booting MSDOS, I can not access HD, neither I see it using FDISK (or HDFORMAT that is on the 5th diskette). I don't know is it an error, that is, HD is not working, or I have to do something to be able to use it. Since I never had HD on this computer I'm clueless. Has anyone any idea what to do?

Thanks, Stjepan

Yes, it spins.

I just tried to place it in other slots but it's not possible. One slot can not be used because it's to close to the case, while in the third one it doesn't align properly with the socket. It seams that it's "normal" since the middle socket has changed one side and has a different plastic to keep disk in place.

Stjepan

The Western Digital FileCard 20 (with MiniScribe drive) in my PC1640 fits in the slot nearest the back. The middle slot doesn't seem to have the rear support to stop the drive rattling about.

Can you access the drive with DEBUG? Boot to DOS with a floppy, type DEBUG, then at the - prompt type G=C800:5

Usually that will bring the low-level format routine from the controller card. You'll have to enter in the drive specs and bad sectors. Then FDISK and format in DOS.

Unfortunately there is a good chance the drive is dead and simply not being detected. One thing to try is to is to give the drive a shake (and a sharp 'spin' around the platter axis). It sometimes frees things up, but only try it after you are sure you have nothing to lose :)

This PC has some additional plastic just in the missing place to prevent drive from rattling around.

As for DEBUG and the rest, I found that there is something at the address c800:0 that resembles to Western Digital copyright notice, though, it's not so clear. Anyway, trying g=c800:5 it exits with "Division overflow" or something like that (I'm currently on my job, so I don't have access to the computer).

I realised now, from your post, that I don't know drive's specs. Maybe they are written on the drive itself. I'll check that this evening.

It's divide overflow.
Propably controller's ROM is dead.
You can't do much with this drive...

Ok. I'm going to buy another disk and controller. Maybe I can pull out drive and pair it with another controller? I'll try.

Anyway, thank you all for help!

Back