• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PSU can't start?

Luke

Experienced Member
There's Compaq Portable II wich I'd try to bid, but there is problem with it.
Seller says, that it can't start, PSU is trying to turn on, but it can't ;).
Fan is runing once slower, once faster.

Nothing appears on the screen.

Could be about 100 different things! I would let the seller keep it if it was me (depending on min bid price and shipping costs, of course).

Price is 15$ with shipping...

When PSU is turned on, disk's and keyboard's diodes are flashing.
Maybe this is sign of PSU damage?

I would rather help seller a bit than bid this one.

Just not enough info to diagnose the problem! I'm sure you have heard that one before, but true.

Did you try to take it to an electrician? maybe he can tell you what is wrong.

Price is 15$ with shipping...

When PSU is turned on, disk's and keyboard's diodes are flashing.
Maybe this is sign of PSU damage?

I would rather help seller a bit than bid this one.

Agreed, I would explain in a nutshell how to troubleshoot a bad power supply (bypass it and use a known good one). Not too familiar with that particular model, so it might be an in-depth thing or not doable. Hope the seller is technically inclined if he/she were to do it themselves.

Nathan

It's ~probably~ a short on one of the boards or monitor, I would suggest it's one of the auxilliary voltages (12, -12, etc) and possibly a tantalum capacitor

-looking at the faults on my machines, and others reported here it seems to be really common on machines that age.

If you have a spare AT power supply (old type) the compaq boards are pretty standard, so it's pretty easy to narrow the fault down by substituting boards.

The only major problem is getting a Torx screwdriver the right size, and sufficient patience to take the inner case apart!

If it's got a hard disk in, and you've got storage space, it's probably worth $15 for parts, the portable IIs come up on ebay about once every 3 months. make sure you don't get stung on the postage, it's not light!

Back