• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Putting the Model T to Work?

cgrape2

Experienced Member
Now that I have my Model 100 portable more or less repaired,I was wondering how I could use it.Currently it's my Basic programing test machine.It's got to have some more uses than that.(Besides a doorstop or paperweight)
I could use some suggestions.
Thanks!
cgrape2

Well, I use mine for taking notes in class, for distraction-free portable word processing. I print things from it to my Okidata dot matrix printer, like class notes. I have used it to host a temporary BBS during the Retrochallenge this last summer. I have hooked it up to a Lantronix and taken it for a spin online, though the tiny display is a huge limitation in even Telnet.

There are lots of cool things to be done with it, and you already mentioned the best, which is writing code to play with.

Ok, word processing.That makes sense.Net use is out,I no longer run a BBS and my programing is still very limited.
How about the add on "plug in Ram" chips?Are there any that would add functions to the normal menu?
Thanks for the reply!
cgrape2

Ok, word processing.That makes sense.Net use is out,I no longer run a BBS and my programing is still very limited.
How about the add on "plug in Ram" chips?Are there any that would add functions to the normal menu?
Thanks for the reply!
cgrape2
You mean the Option ROMs? They do indeed add various capabilities; check out the ROMware section on
http://www.club100.org/
And also the description of REX, which lets you have several Option ROM images installed at the same time.
Have FUN!

CGrape2, you should join the Model 100 Listserv! We'd love to have you!

There's also a M100 chat at

thefrozenflame.uni.cc:6667

#m100

Sounds good to me thanks for the info!I really do want to make this old thing productive again!
cgrape2

Besides that, it really is an ideal computer to learn BASIC on, IMO, since it's set up in a very programmer-friendly way. No compiling, no saving, just type it in and hit "RUN" and you can even use the built in editor instead of retyping lines too.

EDIT: of course, you can save your programs, but there is no disk access or any fear of loosing your work on the Tandy, since it's all in backed up RAM.

grape! Hey, I'm back on the forums. I have two 100-series comps, and a PILE of documentation and whatnot. If you need me to look anything up I have era-gathered documentation, third party and official, a whole shelf of it, which was given to me with the machines when I bought them. I also have several option ROM chips, a few of which aren't in use - I am not sure what which ones do and what's installed in my machines at the moment, but perhaps if you decide you need ROM "x" and I have it I'll send it to you - you've helped me out in the past. :)

Back