• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Repairing an IBM XT motherboard

mR_Slug

Veteran Member
Hi, I recently came across a 64-256 XT system. There is one slight problem with the motherboard. Capacitor C56 is blown, its located near slot 5 at the back of the computer. If you power on the computer the cap catches fire:-D

The cap is charred and I cant read the value of it. Please could someone give me the correct value? Also does anyone know what may have caused the cap to blow in the first place?

I tried to get the tech reference manual from here:
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/IBM5160TechRef.pdf

But the link seems to be broken. Not sure if it contains troubleshooting info on what to do in case of fire:)

Any help appreciated

modem7

Veteran Member
C56 is a tantalum identical to C68, C63, C46, C28 (and others).

Labeled "10-16". Motherboard schematic indicates that C56 is 10uF.
Therefore, C56 is a 10uF tantalum rated at 16V.

Schematic indicates that together with the adjacent C55, it is filtering the +12V line.

Cap can blow due to overvoltage (the 16V rating being exceeded by ?? %), so check the voltage on the +12V line.
Cap might have blown due to old age (e.g. deteriation). I had a tantalum in a Tandon 360K drive convert to smoke a few months ago.

nige the hippy

Veteran Member
Was just about to say the same, I've had tants go short on their own. you can probably just snip it off for now, it's just a de-coupler, the PC should still work ok.

Thanks for the "dead" link to the xt manual, it's a bit alive sometimes.

mR_Slug

Veteran Member
Wow thanks for the info. I appreciate the effort to look that up Modem7.

I took your advice nige the hippy, worked like a treat. I got some beeps! After connecting a MDA card/monitor and setting the correct dip switches…. It Posts!!!

I bought this motherboard + case just for the RAM, that turned out to be unsuitable for my AT.

I really am astonished this works at all, I had removed all the RAM, so I had to put all this back in. The power supply is an XT clone 65W model with a power connector that’s not quite compatible (its one single connector instead of two, with a clip I had to shave off,). Not to mention the cigarette lighting Cap:)

Now as for replacement, is it worth trying to solder in a new cap?

Oh and I got the tech ref manual too, great bedtime reading!!

modem7

Veteran Member
Now as for replacement, is it worth trying to solder in a new cap?
On a PC/XT motherboard, the +12V is sent to the I/O expansion connectors for possible use by expansion cards. The +12V is not actually used by the motherboard itself.
Any I/O card that uses the +12V is going to have it's own filter caps anyway. If it were my motherboard, I wouldn't be fussed about C56 being missing.

per

Veteran Member
I had an XT motherboard do that too. It's quite impressive, and rather pretty :rolleyes:

How do you detect when it happens? does it make a loud noise? (louder than the PSU?) or do you just have to wait until smoke comes out of the floppy drives?