• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCELBI 8H reproductions at VCF east

mwillegal

Experienced Member
I expect that there will be two reproduction SCELBI 8H's running at VCF east this year. One of them will be running a 4K integer dialect of SCELBAL BASIC written by Mark Arnold, the creator of SCELBAL.

Original SCELBIs are extrememly rare. Working ones, more so. There are only 2 known working original 8H's and 1 known working original 8B in existence.

This should be quite an event for SCELBI and Intel 8008 fans.

regards,
Mike Willegal
www.willegal.net

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well I know I'm bringing mine... Plus MARCH also has an original Mark-8 on display. So if you are really into Intel 8008 or just interested in Intel's first microprocessor designed to be used in a computer come to VCF east and check it out.

Cheers,
Corey

Wow, Corey! That is really, really nice.

If you don't mind saying, about how much (in a round figure) did you invest to get that beauty?

smp

I don't want to know what I spent...

I'm over a year on the build, in my spare time so there were items I purchased and then upgraded later when I determined the correct parts. For example took me 3 tries to get the right card edge guides at about $100 a try. Most of the chips are soldered in so for those I bought a leaper IC tester, which wasn't cheap, since I was tracking down and buying date correct all TI TTL parts. I also had to special order the black edge connectors. For the 4k in 1101 RAM chips I even tracked down the correct scanbe sockets. My 28ga wire used for the chassis was NOS from the early 70's, I now have a life time supply which cost a $$$, but I actually enjoy point to point soldering for prototyping so it's no big deal. I also got correct IO and a roll of correct power wire. The IO and power sockets are easily a few hundred dollars themselves but I will be using every single one between the system and my vintage TI silent, tape reader/punch and speed loader box (a must if you are to keep your sanity on an 8008 based machine)

I also had to track down the correct metal package Military spec zener diodes which I obtained in Europe. They were over a $100. Don't get me started on metal work, special tools or the multiple linear power supplies. But for me this is a labor of love, I just ordered a whisper fan for it that was about $40 shipped because my 1970's boxer fan was too loud to leave the system on for hours on end.

Btw. I forgot to post anther cool set of pics, this one is of the CPU card in an extender hooked up to a logic analyzer (no reason to waste custom edge connectors on an extender card..)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You accomplished that in your spare time? I suddenly feel like a horrible slacker... ;-)

Your work looks beautiful. I can't wait to see this at VCF. Soon!

Thanks for the tantalizing preview.

Looking like VCF east will be a big Intel 8008 festival...

While still under construction, we have decided to show the VCF Scelbi replica as a static display next to the original Mark-8 for VCF. The VCF Scelbi is an example of a minimalist and affordable Scelbi configuration that would have had 1k of memory and hooked up through a single set of input and output ports to a teletype. Here are some pics for those who can't make it in person.

IMG_0576.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_0578.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0574.jpg

Back