• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Super Powerbook 180 score!

paul.brett

Experienced Member
I spotted a nice Apple Macintosh Powerbook 180 on Freecycle, and the nice lady giving it away said my plea to give it a good home sounded the best.

Starts up nice, and has System 7.1 loaded (which I believe is original) and the obligatory Clarisworks.

One of the prop-up style feet has broken off, but I intend to glue that back on, just so it looks right.

Another fine addition to my computer museum.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I got a couple of PB 145bs given to me. Good additions to my collection too.

Tell me what was the condition of the Battery. One didn't have a battery and the other one had a battery that had just started to leak. Thankfully no damage.

Powerbook Battery

Powerbook Battery

Tell me what was the condition of the Battery. One didn't have a battery and the other one had a battery that had just started to leak. Thankfully no damage.

The battery doesn't work at all, and there is a small amount of blue crystallised gunk around one of the terminals.

Any suggestions? My first thought it to remove the cells from the battery pack to avoid damage (I'm highly unlikey to ever use this away from a power point).

Paul.

Paul,

Mine had a LOT of gunk. I thought about cleaning it up but I figured it was shot anyway, and would only leak some more so I disposed of it.

It means the machine is not quite complete but I didn't want to risk damage to it from a leaky battery. I don't think I could break into my battery pack to remove the cells anyway, and even if I could it was pretty damaged.

If it's starting to leak, I would certainly do something with it. If you can remove the cells, that's what I'd do, otherwise toss it.

Tez

Back