• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Symphony IDE controller??

Xenophage

Hi! I'm a newbie here, just getting into retro PC builds. I recently acquired a Gateway 2000 486DX4/100 machine. It has a WD Caviar 2340 Intelligent AT drive, a NEC CD-260 CD-ROM drive, and this odd little IDE controller by Symphony (photo of an identical model I found on a Google search is below).
I can only seem to get a single IDE device to work at a time. The hard drive will only boot into DOS if it is in single-device mode (no jumpers), otherwise I get a fixed disk error. I can't really test the CD-ROM drive's operation because I don't have a boot floppy, but it will not open the tray unless it is the only device connected to the IDE controller. If I try to plug both devices in using either cable-select or master/slave jumper settings, neither one works. So I'm wondering if this IDE controller only supports a single device. Does anyone have any knowledge about it? Internet searches have come up with nothing except pictures of it.

Of course the issue might be that the CD-ROM drive is messed up and causing an issue with the controller or hdd whenever it is plugged in.

Thanks for any tips!

s-l1600.webp

Back