• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 model 25-1002

Tragg

Just found this forum while looking for solutions to get my Tandy running again. I have a 25-1002 also (s#831). My stepfather gave it to me back in '87 and I upgraded a bunch of things on it back then. I used it regularly all the way into the mid-late 90s. It's been 20+ years since I've tried firing it up. Just did and it still runs but needs system disk. I think one or both of the floppy drives may be bad. Is it possible to get replacement drives?

Hello and welcome. I also own a Tandy 1000, a 1000HD. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find replacement floppy drives. Mine came with a 360K 5.25" drive and a 20MB MFM hard drive. The 5.25" 360K drive would not work so I replaced it with a working 3.5" 1.44 drive set up as a 720K drive. I first tried a real 720K drive but it was not working either. The 1.44 drive works fine, but it is limited by the BIOS to operate as a 720K.

I also ended up installing an XT-IDE controller and a CF card after the MFM drive decided to go belly up.

For my system disk I used my Tandy MS-DOS 3.3 floppy on 720K 3.5". I had this DOS disk from my original Tandy 1400FD portable.

Seaken

When I got my Tandy 1000, the drive would not operate (appeared dead), but it was the 12V power rail coming out of the power supply that was dead. You might check the power supply output voltages.

When I got my Tandy 1000, the drive would not operate (appeared dead), but it was the 12V power rail coming out of the power supply that was dead. You might check the power supply output voltages.
I had the same issue, turned out to just be bad solder joints on the psu.

Just found this forum while looking for solutions to get my Tandy running again. I have a 25-1002 also (s#831). My stepfather gave it to me back in '87 and I upgraded a bunch of things on it back then. I used it regularly all the way into the mid-late 90s. It's been 20+ years since I've tried firing it up. Just did and it still runs but needs system disk. I think one or both of the floppy drives may be bad. Is it possible to get replacement drives?
I think it will work with any normal pc 360k or 720k drive, you may have to change the drive id on the drive though as the Tandy uses drive id and not a cable with a twist in it.

It may be as simple as cleaning the read/write heads on both drives with some 99% IPA. Try that first before looking for a replacement drive.

Back