• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000a with Fat text problem

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
I have a small problem with my Tandy 1000a video output. I have Fat Text :confused: If there are 2 letter M's next to each other as an example no way of telling them apart. And if I have graphics up the colors are messed up. So I was needing a tech manual to figure out which is the video chip. I have a 1000 board in the 1000a's case. And it's text is nice and clear. Same with my SX and the TX before I sold it. Any Ideas? I will try to post a pic to show what I mean soon. Has anyone seen this before?

Are you saying the video is getting colored blurring? Are you using it with a composite display, or an RGB monitor? CGA/TGA output on composite in high-resolution mode will get a lot of NTSC color smearing - you can see an example on the Wikipedia article.

I have a small problem with my Tandy 1000a video output. I have Fat Text :confused: If there are 2 letter M's next to each other as an example no way of telling them apart. And if I have graphics up the colors are messed up. So I was needing a tech manual to figure out which is the video chip. I have a 1000 board in the 1000a's case. And it's text is nice and clear. Same with my SX and the TX before I sold it. Any Ideas? I will try to post a pic to show what I mean soon. Has anyone seen this before?
What monitor are using? You might want to back-off on the brightness/contast and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep looking for more on the 1000a.

So you are saying the display looks good on the add-on output, but not on the on-board output?
Just trying to get that straight, because it really sounds like a monitor issue.

If you're sure that the video cable is as good as possible or you've tested it with other machines, the most probable cause is drying capacitors.

I am using an EGA monitor. Not composite. I should have specified it. The monitor is good as mentioned this is the same one Used with the SX and TX. When I had an EGA card in there just for testing purposes it looked very clear. So definately the onboard video. I have a multisync on the way and I'll see how it looks on that.

So definitely it looks like a capacitors problem. I'm not an expert; but that kind of problem is usually related to them.

Problem cured was the Monitor which I can't beleive. My NEC multisync arrived and I hooked it up and nice clear text. I am guessing this 1000a has a very small timing issue with the video output. The multisync doesn't care and gives a clear picture. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back