• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tell me THIS wouldn't look COOL by your desk!

Heh - I had that, eBay'd it. Also had a Q950 with A/UX I eBayed a few years back - 256MB of RAM if I recall correctly!

I also have, in the dark recesses of my garage, a.....
WGS95! THE A/UX box...

No...it isn;t getting eBayed!

T

Awesome! I remember the WG machines very well. In around 1997-98 I have been contracting to Apple Computer Poland as a UNIX Consultant and supporting their Unix based customers. There were bunch off large publishing houses and magazine publishers. They were using at that time both WGS A/UX and ANS with AIX and Next boxes with OpenStep to run Helios Ethershare. I was given one of first Rhapsody releases to try out on a PC. It was really cool from a time perspective to work with all Apple Unixes at once really. In production!

Best regards,
A

I'm actually using a cray Y/MP EL this very minute on SSH cray-cyber.org. I want one:)

Sorry to bump this, but the thing finally got sold 2 days ago. Winning bid was $4975. Too bad I'm not rich...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cray-YMP-EL92-s...oryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw, cray-cyber.org is awesome. I just got an account.
Hi,
I just ran across this Forum and thread. I missed getting my hands on a Cray J90 and so I wasn't going to let "this one" get by. I think it is important to keep systems like this Cray YMP EL92 operational (and useful) if possible. Working with a vector processor is also very interesting. Also picked up a SUN E10K (StarFire) with 64 - 400MHz processors and 64GB of RAM. This will act as a test and production server for a complex DB app with heavy duty statistical analysis that I'm working on. I've been using a 14 processor SUN E4500 system. It's incredible to be able to get your hands on such computing power for the price of a tricked out game machine....

Q, man, if a got the $$, and that's what ya want, man, I'm happy for ya.

You can say what very few can - "I own a Cray."

Not a piece of lucite, with a memory chip embedded in it, for display.
A dang working, fire-breathing, power-company-pleasing, wife-ticker-offer, full-blown Cray!

Oh - Um, you guys with the Cray-badged SGI workstations need not apply :)

T

aclock-cray.jpg

CRAY in action

CRAY in action

Actually, after working with it for a few days and compiling some test programs with Cray's optimizing and vectorizing C compiler (which is really amazing) under Unicos, it is still really damn fast when performing calculations on large arrays.

For instance if you take three arrays of 64 floating point elements each, i.e. C[x] = A[x] * B[x], it treats the entire array calculation as a single instruction and executes it in one instruction cycle. Just think how many instructions and clock cycles it would take on your Intel, AMD, "x"SPARC, or G5 processors to do the equivalent.

I believe it is fastest when the problem can be broken down into vectors that are multiples of clusters of 64 (floating point) elements. I'll know more soon.

I've added pictures... (slightly fuzzy unfortunately)

picture ...726 is the CRAY Y-MP EL92 ( there is also a PDP8/e on the left )

...723 is a picture of the Y-MP processor board. The ENTIRE BOARD is the processor, and it has 13 layers.

...725 is a picture of the MEMMORY board.

Attachments

• P1000726_1024x768.jpg
    P1000726_1024x768.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000723_1024x768.jpg
    P1000723_1024x768.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000725_1024x768.jpg
    P1000725_1024x768.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1
Actually Tenox, this is the same machine that you had your ASCII clock run on... the previous owner mentioned it when we were working on the system.

Cooking Eggs

Cooking Eggs

Just curious, but how much electricity does your enviable hardware collection actually use? I mean, can you afford to power these things on? And can you cook an egg just by leaving it in a bowl sitting on top of the Cray? Or on your desk?

Actually, it appears to use less than our 8 person hot tub... so it isn't that bad. It doesn't run hot.... but it does warm up the room so I have a few fans blowing cool air toward it. Also helps to have the windows cracked.

Unlike many other servers and racks of servers, this unit's fans have a rather pleasant ( though moderately loud ) harmony. Not like sitting in a car wash with the blowers on ( like most servers ).

The cats like to sleep on top of it because it is warm and "purrs"....

On some of the vector tests I've run it looks like it averages 3000% faster on those benchmarks than the same program with vector optimization turned off. Pipelined vector processors are a pretty cool architecture.

The PDP8/e is much more "unpleasantly" noisy, but hey ... it's got 6K of Core Memory which is pretty neat. And it still works. Always loved "blinking lights" on computers.... machines have gotten more boring. Jeez, on my G5 iMac I can't even tell if there is drive activity....

Back