• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T3200SX: detaching power supply from display

grog

I recently acquired a Toshiba T3200SX for a modest amount knowing it may be DOA. Unsurprisingly, the system did little more than make quiet, infrequent clicking noises when powered on.

After a lot of awkward disassembly I was able to get inside the power supply and verify the DC lines are dead. The current plan is to replace the electrolytic capacitors (starting with the largest ones). I'm about ready to take my soldering iron out of retirement but I still need to get the PSU completely removed.

Nearly everything has been successfully disconnected except for the display. I have noticed the PSU side of the display cable is soldered directly on, while the other end enters from the rear of the display into the dark abyss where I am guessing a plug exists that one can detach. However, is this only feasible through display disassembly... and is that only feasible by removing the adhered LED panel cover underneath the display on the front? I am hesitant to start peeling that off to expose screws as the panel cover may be irreparably damaged/curled. I also have had enough plastic latch tabs snap off of other vintage systems that I don't want to take apart something if I don't have to.

Is my best option to desolder the display connections to the power supply PCB, or is there a better way to separate it with minimal damage potential? Thanks in advance.

Back