• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USR Courier Issue

irishmike

Experienced Member
Greetings:

My modem that I acquired which is a USR Courier V.32 BIS external model seems to be having some kind of issue. Upon powering it up, the speaker "clicks" and the lights flash randomly on the front, but it is not "booting" properly at all. I would love to know where to begin troubleshooting it so hopefully it can be fixed?

Any help is appreciated.

Please note that I have posted that I am looking for a couple more of these in the "Wanted" section on this board :)

Something is definitely wrong.

Open up the case (if memory serves, the screws are under the rubber feet) and reseat all the chips. This might help.

More likely your modem has suffered electrical damage in a power surge or some such and isn't repairable. But try the chip trick first.

These modems are easy to find, and cheap. I have three externals and an internal (no you can't have them :) ). I got mine off eBay. Get the v.90 V.Everything modems since they support everything from 300 bps to HST to 56K v.90. The newer, more expensive v.92 ones are rare and offer only a tiny improvement in performance, and aren't worth the significant premium in cost, in my opinion.

Hi Jim:

Thanks for the info. Tried the reseat (this came to me before I got back here to read the post) thinking the same idea, but this did not change anything.

Of note, I have had too many problems using eBay so I don't do anything there anymore.

Hopefully, someone will want to part with a good Courier or 2. I am bummed about mine being in trouble ;-)

Anyhow, thanks again for your suggestion.

With all this talk about Courier, I'm bummed that I have tossed all mine long ago. They sure were great modems. Expensive too, as I recall. I would keep getting my boss at work to pay for mine.

Back