• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ValuePoint Processors

Raven

Veteran Member
I tried out a CPU identifier and measuring utility, and it informed me that my Am5x86-133 was running at 3x clock 100mhz. This annoyed me, so I started experimenting with the CPU jumpers, one of which is a toggle between "DX/DX2" and also marked D2 and OD, and the other of which is marked D2 and OD as well. I tried several combinations, but nothing made a difference.

I decided that the system must just refuse to run at faster than 100mhz. I plopped my IBM DX4 (Cyrix 5x86 rebadged) 100mhz in there, planning to use the 5x86 tool on it to try to achieve better performance. Upon running the tool (5x86c2.zip was where I got it, latest version that was made, I know older is available and might try that), it informs me that it requires a Cyrix 5x86 chip. My CPU identifying tool also doesn't identify it as a 5x86.. it says:

"Cyrix/TI Cx486DX4"

Why is this? It's marked "Cyrix 5x86" on the bottom.. can I use the 5x86 tool with this or not? Can I make my Am5x86 run faster than 100mhz in this box? Will I ever finish working on this ValuePoint?!

Edit: GRAWR, a bunch of errors, crashes, and "DOS Memory-Arena Error"s are being caused since I put that CPU back in... I must have killed it somehow... *whimper*

Edit again:

Also it doesn't say Cyrix 5x86, I'm just nuts. It says COPYRIGHT USA 1993 CYRIX..

Last edited:
Back