• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VIC-20 / Display Manager cart question

Timster

Hi everyone,

Ok - I just picked up a DISPLAY MANAGER cart/adapter on eBay. It was manufactured by the Data 20 Corporation in the early '80s. This company made a lot of Commodore expansion devices for the VIC, C64, and +4/264/etc. It allegedly provides 40/80 column functionality to the VIC, along with expanded memory (up to 70K, based on the research I was able to do on-line).

I have my VIC hooked up to a monitor via a 5-pin DIN -> RCA A/V cable. With this cart inserted, when I flip the power on I just get a black screen. I noticed the cart itself has a 5-pin DIN out, so I tried plugging my cable into that. Well, this time when I power it on, I get the normal 1-2 seconds of black screen, followed by what I assume is the computer's display. Only problem is the output looks like a still-frame of a staticy tv-screen. I figure this is because the output from this card now exceeds the capabilities of the monitor. The monitor is basically the equivalent of a TV set, with RCA input for video, 1/8" jack for audio (the cable I have) on the back, and an on-off/volume knob, and contrast knob on the front.

I think this is the problem, I just don't know how to solve it. I realize this is a long-shot, but if anyone has any advice, it would surely be appreciated!

I'm guessing the hi-res output would require an RGB (or is that composite?) monitor - such as a CGA monitor from an early PC. If so - would I need to find a 5-pin DIN -> RGB video cable, and if so does such a beast even exist???

Any ideas anyone? Thanks...

--Timster--

I strongly doubt the video output is of a difference frequency than regular composite video. Several people on the Denial web forum own 40/80 column boards from Data20. Unless you have already asked there, I suggest you do.

Another theory is that the cartridge is broken, has a dirty connector or something else that prevents it from working properly. I thought the VIC should output its regular picture simultaneously with the 40/80 board, and you choose in software which device you want your PRINTs and other statements to go onto. Unfortunately I don't own one myself.

Well... I just scrubbed both sides of the connector twice with alcohol and a swab, and while a bit of black came off - I still get the same result. Maybe it is fried? (Great - a $40 paperweight! :? )

I just thought it might need a special cable to go to a monitor (computer monitor vs a TV display monitor) like the C-128 does to get 80 cols. I had a sneaking suspicion I shouldn't have tried for this item, but if it was working fine, I felt it would be a great, unique addition to my VIC collection. Oh well...

:cry:

If it required a special monitor, the manufacturer probably would've chosen a different connector than 5-pin DIN so people would not by accident plug in their RF modulators and VIC-20 video cables into the cartridge.

Hopefully you can get help from another owner of this hardware item. Maybe there is something you can measure if you open it up, but not before someone who has experience of it has spoken.

Agreed - I will wait until another owner more proficient with it weighs in. This will most likely occur on my Denial Forum post than this one or the AtariAge one! :D

Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction carlsson!

--Timster--

Back