• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage TI SR-56 calculator DOA

carangil

Experienced Member
Not technically a vintage 'computer' in the conventional sense, but...

Today at the flea market I picked up a TI SR-56 calculator. One of those old ones with the LED displays. ( http://www.datamath.org/Sci/WEDGE/sr-56P.htm )

Well, the battery pack the came with it was obviously no good, so I removed it, and then took a 3 cell AA holder, loaded it with three NiMH batteries totaling the expected 3.6 V from the original NiCD, and alligator clipped it to the battery contacts (in the correct polarity of course!)

And, well, nothing happened. Won't turn on. I even scraped the contacts a little bit, thinking maybe I wasn't making good contact. At the least good news is, there isn't a short, because my battery voltage doesn't sag when it turns on!

Does anyone have service manuals, or know where I could get a service manual or schematic for this? If I can make it work, that would be great! Even if I can't make it work, it'll at least make an interesting brick for my office at work!

Any luck with the repair?

I have not found a service manual for the SR-56 but the excellent R/S Library has one for the SR-50 and another for the TI-59. They share a common architecture, so much of the info applies to the SR-56.

Back