• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are the valuable MAC's (not Apples)?

billdeg

Technician
What are the valuable MAC's? Not the Apples.

Even the Macintosh 001 seems to be worth less than $500 unless you have the original box it came in. The first MAC portable is probably worth something.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about care to post their top ten list?

All I can tell you is my experience with selling Macs on e-bay, A colour classic, working and in very good condition went for about 50 bucks and a Mac SE with 40 MB went for a little over $27.

Both had keyboards and mouses.

I have a bunch of pizza boxes and PowerMacs that I expect to get next to nothing for when I get around to putting them up on my site.

Unless it's an Apple, they don't seem to worth a hell of a lot.

Agreed. Vintage Macs sold so well, that there are thousands around today, working, and they therefore go for next to nothing. The original mac fetches some $$, usually about $150-$300, depending on what is included. $300 being with O/S, carrying bag, keyboard, and manuals. They can go even higher with original box. Locally, a Macintosh SE or Classic/II can go for about $20 or more, depending on accesories included and how badly the buyer wants a Mac. On eBay, they can fetch $10-$25. Apples can get more, but this thread isn't about the ultimate Apple.

--Ryan

IIfx and 840av can hit $100 if they are in very good condition. SE/30's with the greyscale upgrades are worth $300 or so. A Color classic turned into a mystic is worth over $100.

Prices for most macs is not very much, too many were made and too many are still around. It is hard to find them in unyellowed condition, so look for new looking units.

There is a current eBay auction for a complete Mac 128k setup (with original packaging, etc,) going for almost $500, with 4 days left to go.

There is a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh with G3 upgrade, with all original accessories, but not packaging, going for $260, with a week to go.

But for the truly $1000+ "expensive" models, yeah, the Macs just aren't it. A Lisa in good shape will do it. An original Apple I board (they weren't 'complete computers', just bare boards that you had to make your own case for,) will definitely do it. An Apple III might.

Gee, I'd better get that Apple /// of mine working if I'll get over a grand for it :)

I've never seen one going for much over 400 bucks and the last one on e-bay (it didn't power up) went for 40 bucks. Shipping for it would have been more.

I'll eventually get it working, but, I certainly don't expect to get anywhere NEAR a grand for it.

I've got a DOS Compatible LC630 here. It would have had a real 68040 in it but I pinched it and stuck it in my LC475 :) . How much would it be worth? I imagine the 68040 itself would be worth more than the LC630.

A Lisa in good shape will do it.

There was one here in Australia that went for at least $1500 a few months ago. It would have been a really good package. Can't remember the details and the auction site would have been deleted by now.

A Macintosh SE/30 with over 8MB of ram usually goes for over $50 on ebay. Then if you have it set to pure 32-bit mode, 128MB ram and the ethernet card installed it can go for well over $150, I've seen a few selling for over $250 (B-I-N).

A MacTV might fetch a good price too.

The thing you need to keep in mind though is this. The computers are so old that most people don't see a use for them and as a result only collectors and people interested in vintage computer gaming/programming will buy them. It's not a large niche, and so you can't expect them to be willing to throw money at you to get one.

A Mac IIfx can definately fetch a lot if the following are true

A. You have 64mb or more ram
B. You have one of the many strange accellerators
C. You have dual hard drives or a CDr
D. A nice Radius or similar oddball graphics adapter

Also wierd developement software or government software jumps the value.

Journey into strangeness.

Long ago I screwed up and almost got $120 for a non-booting mac IIFx with 128mb, sadly the bidder bailed out and I did not relist, I ended up fixing it, then sold it locally for little of nothing after I lost interest years later. It had some unusal school management software that covered every aspect from grades to wages to meal plans, the records were not accessable as they weren't stored locally. It had some other strange software onboard pertaining to astronomy and some tunneling labscope software. Not really sure what all was done with this unit as most of the software wanted something else to get up and running.

I have a Q840AV put away in the garage - 128M RAM, 2 x SCSI drives.
Always loved the AV, and always will - dumped the rest. Had an AWS95 as well as a Q950 with even the original keyswitch+key working, and internal CD-ROm with the proper bezel, which is hard to find!

Only other Mac i have, is a 6360 I've had for YEARS, which actually has a 6500/250 logic board inserted, with a multifunction USB PCI card (PCI+FW I think). Oh, also have a Quadra 605, because I always thought they were cool little packages! Stuffed a proper 68RC040 in it, did the 33MHz mod, popped in a 2GB Quantum SCSI, and a huge RAM stick (64MB HP stick, I think) totalling 68MB including logic board RAM. I'll probably hang on to that one for quite a while, as well!

Dumped all the Classics, SE's, SE/30's, Plus's, etc..

T

I have a Q840AV put away in the garage - 128M RAM, 2 x SCSI drives.
Always loved the AV, and always will - dumped the rest. Had an AWS95 as well as a Q950 with even the original keyswitch+key working, and internal CD-ROm with the proper bezel, which is hard to find!

Only other Mac i have, is a 6360 I've had for YEARS, which actually has a 6500/250 logic board inserted, with a multifunction USB PCI card (PCI+FW I think). Oh, also have a Quadra 605, because I always thought they were cool little packages! Stuffed a proper 68RC040 in it, did the 33MHz mod, popped in a 2GB Quantum SCSI, and a huge RAM stick (64MB HP stick, I think) totalling 68MB including logic board RAM. I'll probably hang on to that one for quite a while, as well!

Dumped all the Classics, SE's, SE/30's, Plus's, etc..

T

Everybody who has an 840AV loves it. Mine has 128MB RAM, full vram, 10/100 network card, SpigotProAV A/V card, and a Jackhammer SCSI card.

Why did you ditch the aws95? Mine is mint/unyellowed with the full original A/UX software and manuals in the shrinkwrap (my second set), the PDS card has the full 512K cache also.

Not enough space, nor interest. I also had, quite a few years back, one of those Apple Server huge monsters, the one that ran AIX. Ditched that YEARS ago as well...

T

Back