• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why I decided to auction off my outsized, decades-built videogame/computer collection

Hey Bill,

Is there going to be online bidding for any/all of the items in your collection? At one point I remember you had 8-bit heathkit/zenith items/software, do you remember if those were part of the items picked up by the auction house, or if you had sold them prior to this?

Thanks,
Mark

There will only be online bidding for approximately 100 items. All the rest of the stuff will be live bidding at the NJ location.

I got rid of most of the Heathkit stuff maybe 5 years back. All that remains from that original portion of my collection is a nice Zenith Z-100 with accessories and boxed software (including games), which will all be in the auction.

Hi, all. There have been some new updates related to the May 31st auction of my massive videogame and computer collection via Bodnar's Auction Sales. This will likely be the last before I do a final visit there prior to the auction date. Here's the link: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2018/05/04/new-updates-for-the-massive-private-vintage-and-modern-videogame-and-computer-auction-set-for-may-31-2018-in-edison-nj/

Kotaku also did a nice write-up on the collection auction: https://kotaku.com/colossal-vintage-game-collection-35-years-in-the-makin-1825777525

If anyone has any questions, please ask, and, if you're in a generous mood, please help spread the word. Thanks!

When will they post a list of the 100 items going to eBay? I am only interested in a few items and don’t want to waste a day at the auction of the things I am looking for will be online only.

When will they post a list of the 100 items going to eBay? I am only interested in a few items and don’t want to waste a day at the auction of the things I am looking for will be online only.

It's not eBay. About a week before the date (it's coming up), they will post about 100 of the better items (mixed, between hardware and software) on the online auction site they use. I'll post about it again once that part is live, but for now, here are some more details: https://www.bodnarsauction.com/may-31-gaming-collection

That is a magnificient collection you had there. Kudos. i also appreciate your remaining collection. I think you kept hold of the right stuff. Personally I would have probably added the Coleco ADAM to that, but that is just me. :)

Bill, hopefully you'll get more reports - I just woke up after spending 12 hours at that auction and driving home with a wagon stuffed to the brim. The vcf posse was there as well as a few other collectors. Hopefully it worked out well on your end, I was thrilled to be able to flesh out my own collection. That was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event!

The vcf posse was there as well

Specifically, about 7-8 of us from the VCF/Mid-Atlantic chapter were there.

Two of our members purchased items at my request and donated those to VCFed. The items were an original BBC/Acorn and an industrial S-100 chassis. Another thing that got purchased by a member (unintentionally in a big box of "stuff") and donated to us is a CGA/EGA/VGA adapter, which we happened to need and were looking to acquire anyway.

Back